Nursing visas and the ilets test

twinkletoes35

Hello all

I hope I am not going to sound stupid here, but there have been so many thread about yes and no, I just want to make sure I have it right in my head

I have been offered a nursing job and am able to pick which visa I want, if I go with the 457 I do not need to take the test?

If I go with any of the PR visas I have to take the test and complete a skills assessment

Am I right?

any help always appreciated

TT xx

Guest gingerdingo

Hi, our agent is also insisting we have to pass the Ielts.

And we have contacted them several times over the last couple of months.

Hi twinkletoes,

sorry but you need to do the IELTS for your aussie registration, unless you already have this.

S x

Not true, if you can prove that you were educated in English then you DO NOT need the IELTS. This has been posted on PIO last week by the AHPRA team ...

Hi sorry, but for Nursing registration all boards require the IELTS.:biggrin:

Hi sorry but this issue has been dealt with in the past and we were the first to breathe a sigh of relief when the AHPRA team contributed to PIO and posted whats below in red. There is only now one national board, with the exemption of WA which will be joining the national board on the 18th October apparently............please read on.......................

Hi,

We're from AHPRA. We've been reading your blog and see how frustrated you are with timelines and process, and how much confusion there is about the Nursing and Midwifery Board's requirements. We hope this information helps:

- Timelines. You should allow 4 - 6 weeks for new registration applications to be processed. We don't always meet this target (complex and or incomplete applications can take more time) but this is our aim. Complete applications which meet all the Board's requirements take the least time to process.

- Backlogs. You're right. Unfortunately not all applications made to previous Australian nursing and midwifery boards were processed before the start of the new scheme on 1 July. This meant there were a significant number of applications from internationally qualified nurses that needed to be reassessed against the new national board's registration standards and the requirements of the National Law. These requirements are designed to increase public safety and many of them involve scrutiny or assessment by external organisations. This takes time. Also, some internationally qualified nurses applied to a number of Australian State Boards before 1 July, and AHPRA has had to assess these and cull the duplicates.

- Recognition of qualifications. On September 14, the NMBA set a clear, nationally consistent framework for assessing applications from internationally qualified nurses and midwives. AHPRA is now processing applications from internationally qualified nurses and midwives against this framework. If you want to know more about this visit www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/Update-for-international-nurses.aspx<http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/Update-for-international-nurses.aspx>

- English language registration standard. No IELTS is required for nurses qualified in the UK (and other listed countries) who did their secondary education in English. This is consistent with the requirements of other National Health Practitioner Boards. State AHPRA offices will apply this interpretation to the Nursing and Midwifery Board's English language skills registration standard.

Thanks for your patience as we work through some of the early issues with the implementation of Australia's national registration and accreditation scheme. Remember, the big advantage of national registration is that you will be able to register once and practice throughout Australia, with Western Australia expected to join the scheme shortly.

We hope this helps. We'll be monitoring this blog to see if there is other information we can provide that will be useful. So keep those questions coming!

The AHPRA Team

user_offline.gifreputation.gif report.gif delicious.giftwitter.png

quote.gif

Guest daveandmarie

I've been told by both NMBWA & AHPRA, that if you have already taken the IELTS, not "passed" and had it sent to the nursing board that you have to gain a positive result before they will register you. Whether this applies to pre or post application i don't know.

Hi sorry but this issue has been dealt with in the past and we were the first to breathe a sigh of relief when the AHPRA team contributed to PIO and posted whats below in red. There is only now one national board, with the exemption of WA which will be joining the national board on the 18th October apparently............please read on.......................

Hi,

We're from AHPRA. We've been reading your blog and see how frustrated you are with timelines and process, and how much confusion there is about the Nursing and Midwifery Board's requirements. We hope this information helps:

- Timelines. You should allow 4 - 6 weeks for new registration applications to be processed. We don't always meet this target (complex and or incomplete applications can take more time) but this is our aim. Complete applications which meet all the Board's requirements take the least time to process.

- Backlogs. You're right. Unfortunately not all applications made to previous Australian nursing and midwifery boards were processed before the start of the new scheme on 1 July. This meant there were a significant number of applications from internationally qualified nurses that needed to be reassessed against the new national board's registration standards and the requirements of the National Law. These requirements are designed to increase public safety and many of them involve scrutiny or assessment by external organisations. This takes time. Also, some internationally qualified nurses applied to a number of Australian State Boards before 1 July, and AHPRA has had to assess these and cull the duplicates.

- Recognition of qualifications. On September 14, the NMBA set a clear, nationally consistent framework for assessing applications from internationally qualified nurses and midwives. AHPRA is now processing applications from internationally qualified nurses and midwives against this framework. If you want to know more about this visit www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/Update-for-international-nurses.aspx<http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/Update-for-international-nurses.aspx>

- English language registration standard. No IELTS is required for nurses qualified in the UK (and other listed countries) who did their secondary education in English. This is consistent with the requirements of other National Health Practitioner Boards. State AHPRA offices will apply this interpretation to the Nursing and Midwifery Board's English language skills registration standard.

Thanks for your patience as we work through some of the early issues with the implementation of Australia's national registration and accreditation scheme. Remember, the big advantage of national registration is that you will be able to register once and practice throughout Australia, with Western Australia expected to join the scheme shortly.

We hope this helps. We'll be monitoring this blog to see if there is other information we can provide that will be useful. So keep those questions coming!

The AHPRA Team

user_offline.gifreputation.gif report.gif delicious.giftwitter.png

quote.gif

I've been told by both NMBWA & AHPRA, that if you have already taken the IELTS, not "passed" and had it sent to the nursing board that you have to gain a positive result before they will register you. Whether this applies to pre or post application i don't know.

Hi daveandmarie,

I am almost certain that I read somewhere in the past few weeks that if you had applied for registration prior to the new IELTS requirements then unfortunately you still need to pass the IELTS. Surely though thats if you have applied for registration i.e. sent the registration forms to the AHPRA or whatever nursing board. I wouldn't of thought that your IELTS results only being sent to the relevant boards you would have to do it !!!!! I am hoping so anyway for my OH's sake !!!!!!

Archived