Bridging Visa / student visa- rules

Guest jolo79

Hi everyone

Hope someone here can help me.

My first working hol visa ends this October, I am past 31 and so cannot apply for the second :(. I am hoping to get enough funds together to start studying but i wont have it by the time my visa runs out. How do i apply for a bridging visa that will last approx 3 months so that i can get everything sorted for a student visa?? Is this at all possible?

Also, does an online course qualify? I want to do a cert first which is offered online before commiting a couple of grand.

Thank you for any help you can offer

Joanne

I could be wrong, you should ask an agent, but as far as I am aware must have applied for any type of further stay visa to get a Bridging visa, not just intending on applying. Also to apply for a student visa you must pay the first semester fees and have a receipt number to put on your visa application.

I dont believe that an online course would be eligible because you could do that anywhere in the world so there would be no need to grant you a visa for Australia.

Like I say I am no expert, I would get advice from an agent but I think your plan would be highly unlikely to be an option.

Sorry I know its not what you want to hear.

I dont believe that an online course would be eligible because you could do that anywhere in the world so there would be no need to grant you a visa for Australia.

I'm pretty sure you are right, I am currently doing a degree, and I've read somewhere that no more than 20% can be off campus courses.

You do also have to pay a full semesters fees up front in order to apply for the student visa.

Steph

xxxx

Thanks for your replies guys...i have gathered information on some courses I am going to apply for...have lots of questions though!!!

Can i apply for more than one course at a time?

How do i go about applying for VET fees? is there any point?Do I apply when applying for the courses?

What is the turnaround time from applying for a course, paying and being accepted. I only have 3 weeks to go before i have to lodge my application for my study visa :chatterbox:

Any and all info much appreciated!! i am in the middle of moving house and trying to enjoy what could be my last couple of weeks with my Australian boyfriend :( I am going to try everything i can to stay here

xxx Joanne

Hi

Have a look at the link below you should find all you need to know here!

Please check all your options and make sure your financially secure before you apply for this visa as it is really expensive and also don't rest on it being your way into Australia permanently.

I speak from experience and would hate anyone else to go through what I did.

Good Luck to you

Emma

Visa Options - Students - Visas & Immigration

Thanks for your replies guys...i have gathered information on some courses I am going to apply for...have lots of questions though!!!

How do i go about applying for VET fees? is there any point?Do I apply when applying for the courses?

What is the turnaround time from applying for a course, paying and being accepted. I only have 3 weeks to go before i have to lodge my application for my study visa :chatterbox:

Any and all info much appreciated!! i am in the middle of moving house and trying to enjoy what could be my last couple of weeks with my Australian boyfriend :( I am going to try everything i can to stay here

xxx Joanne

Hi,

I'm here on a student visa, I enrolled at Uni first to get my COE (Certificate of Enrolment), this took about 11 weeks, I also had to pay the Uni fees for the first semester up front before they could issue the COE ($8,500). Not sure about VET fees or what they are, I pay international student fees.....

Not too sure about applying for more than one course as my Uni wouldn't process my application unless I had paid the feess up front.

Once I had this, I could then apply for the student visa. This took about 9 weeks, but should have taken about 3 days. (We had the worst CO in Australia House in London, who didn't answer e-mails or phone calls).

As everyone else has said, it is a very expensive way to stay in Australia, although, providing you have enough money, it's not too bad.

The only advice I would give is are you prepared to study to get the chance of PR at the end of it?? Although I am, the degree I'm doing is really interesting and I am enjoying it, I couldn't stand to be here studying a subject I wasn't interested in for over 3 years. The degree is very closely linked to the job I had in the UK and at the end of my course, if I can't get PR or employer sponsor, I am prepared to go back to the UK, but with the degree under my belt, I could get a far higher paid job than when I left!!!

Steph

xxxx

xxx Joanne

I don't think international students are eligible for VET fees? I might be wrong but I am sure you have to be at least a PR to get help with paying fees

Emma

I don't think international students are eligible for VET fees? I might be wrong but I am sure you have to be at least a PR to get help with paying fees

Emma

I'm pretty certain this is the case, I think you have to be PR to be entitled to VET fee rates and a citizen to get actual vet fee help ( Aussie student loan)

:eek:ahhhhhhhhhhh...it seems the student route may not work for me.

I do want to study eventually but i would hate to waste all that money on something im not passionate about really....especially if it may not lead to PR

hmmmmmmmmmmm as for the partner visa, i was doing some research online last night. The problem is ive been with my partner for less than a year so de-facto visa is tricky unless i basically lie!!...my partner works up in the mines so we only spend two weeks together out of the month, he has his mail delivered to his other property on the coast...what are compassionate grounds that we can use to appeal the 12 month rule?? At this rate it looks like i will have to leave Australia or get hitched :o:o

Jo

Archived