The big trip around OZ

Guest punky pom

Guest punky pom

Hi there, We have just completed a 2yr trip around OZ. We have had a great time we worked as we went around and spent some time in a lot of areas so we really got a feel for the place and what its like living there. We took our triplets and our dog. The children did Distance Education which worked really well. In fact they did brilliantly in their NAPLAN tests. Australia is one big, beautiful and diverse country and the Aussie folk are great. We are now back in a house and it feels like a mansion esp when I have to clean it. We are however moving back to the UK, WE HAVE BEEN IN oz 6YRS and do not regret one bit coming over and experiencing this wonderful country. Just gotta sell the house and the caravan now. Anyone interested in a caravan 5 berth Jayco 2007 model I am serious we do have to sell it cant ship it back to the UK mores the pity.:chatterbox:

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow what a life you have had I am so jealous. Can I ask which area you preferred in Oz?

You could maybe post the caravan in the shed forum and hopefully you will get some interest, when are you heading back?

Kate

Guest punky pom

Hi there Iloved WA esp Exmouth, Coral Bay. Snorkelling on the Ningaloo Reef is just superb the sea is turquoise the sand white. My hubby love Northern Territory we spent some time at a remote community my hubby was teaching. The kids had a ball used to go off with the kids from the community exploring and come back filthy and when they were hungry. We were very lucky as we were at a really nice community. Kids loved the Gold Coast but thats predictable. Coffs Harbour is beautiful too. We are now in Cairns my kids and hubby love the swimming holes here and I love the fact it is so tropical. Thanks for your advice re van.

Guest cazbeckham

Hiya

Whereabouts are you as we are seriously thinking about a caravan

We are in Buderim on Sunshine Coast and if you are not too far away maybe you could pm me with caravan details please

Guest The Pom Queen

You will have one lovely story to tell the grandchildren, wish you had time to share the experience with us, but you may struggle especially as people can write pages and pages after 2 weeks here, you would need to write a book.

Kate

Hey Punky Pom,

Sounds awesome!

We are about to start a 12/18 month round trip of OZ in our camper which we are bringing over, also with our furry friend.:yellow_guy_smiling_

What (if any) guides did you use, i have been trying to get copies of Jan Hollands - Pricleless campsites and rest areas, which cover NT and WA, but cant seem to find it at a reasonable price.

Did you experience much bother with campsites etc having the dog with you? I have found a great website called ozcamps.net which shows 100's of independant campsites that allow dogs, but we may want a shower from time to time:happy_face_vampire_

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Punky Pom,

Sounds awesome!

We are about to start a 12/18 month round trip of OZ in our camper which we are bringing over, also with our furry friend.:yellow_guy_smiling_

What (if any) guides did you use, i have been trying to get copies of Jan Hollands - Pricleless campsites and rest areas, which cover NT and WA, but cant seem to find it at a reasonable price.

Did you experience much bother with campsites etc having the dog with you? I have found a great website called ozcamps.net which shows 100's of independant campsites that allow dogs, but we may want a shower from time to time:happy_face_vampire_

Jay

Hey Jay

we are planning our trip and were wondering about taking a camper van over but can't find any info on the implications of exporting one. It appears you can get more for your money buying one in the Uk rather than in Oz. Any advice would be apreciated and sorry to go off topic

Hey Jay

we are planning our trip and were wondering about taking a camper van over but can't find any info on the implications of exporting one. It appears you can get more for your money buying one in the Uk rather than in Oz. Any advice would be apreciated and sorry to go off topic

It depends alot on where you are planning on registering it, you need to contact the transport office of that state and get the information from them, we are shipping and registering in SA, its been a right pain in the arrse! but there is no way i was leaving my van, all in all it will cost us around 5000gbp to get it across there. There does seem to be alot of expensive vans advertised in OZ, but there are lots of much cheaper ones too, try KombiClub website, there is a for sale section on there, all for sale by proper VeeDub enthusiasts.

The most important thing you need to fully understand, is that if you import a van it has to go through alot of compliance and inspection criteria, alot of UK vans are heavily modified and it could cost you alot of time and money returning the vehicle to stock, especially if you cant do the work yourself, or spending lots of money getting engineering certification in Oz for any modifications. I have just spent the best part of a year getting my van ready for inspection, and im still unsure, pretty fed up with it now!

I would get one in OZ, as you dont have an emotional attachment to a van now, and it really can be painful and costly.

But definitely get one:biggrin:

Archived