Rabies vaccinations

Guest christi

Just wondering for those of you, who are heading back ,or already back in the UK, How you got on with the Rabies vaccinations. I have read some really negative stuff about side effects and I need to get my 2 cats and little dog vaccinated to take them home to England

It would be great to hear from any of you, that have had this jab done, how your animals were after it etc

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Christi

From experience I don't see that many reactions from the rabies vaccine compared to the normal annual vacs, maybe because we never did them as often. Personally I would see if you could opt for the KV over the MLV (KV=Killed Vaccine MLV= Modified Live Vaccine). I am not a huge fan of live vaccines although I know some of my colleagues would disagree but in all my years I saw more reactions with the Live Vaccines.

You will find that any serious reactions will usually happen within the first hour of the vaccination, however, keep an eye out for any tumours growing at the injection site, but this is not just on rabies vaccines but all of them.

I would say don't worry, but I know that you will, we always do because our pets are like part of the family, but seriously everything should be ok.

Good luck and big hugs

Kate

Hi Christi

From experience I don't see that many reactions from the rabies vaccine compared to the normal annual vacs, maybe because we never did them as often. Personally I would see if you could opt for the KV over the MLV (KV=Killed Vaccine MLV= Modified Live Vaccine). I am not a huge fan of live vaccines although I know some of my colleagues would disagree but in all my years I saw more reactions with the Live Vaccines.

You will find that any serious reactions will usually happen within the first hour of the vaccination, however, keep an eye out for any tumours growing at the injection site, but this is not just on rabies vaccines but all of them.

I would say don't worry, but I know that you will, we always do because our pets are like part of the family, but seriously everything should be ok.

Good luck and big hugs

Kate

Thanks for that Kate. Im going for the inactivated Nobivac, as that will last for 3 years.So I dont think that is a live virus??

I find it so ironic, that they have to have the Rabies jab, when the only 2 countries I am travelling between are both Rabies free(oz and the UK)

We want to get the jab done now, so we are safe to travel with them, when we are ready, rather than leave it until the last

They are my babies, and I am not looking forward to getting the jab done, but its either that, or not be able to take them home, which is not even a consideration

I know there are risks with any vaccination,but the Rabies one, just seems more harsh

we just are hoping they will be ok

Thanks for your best wishes :biggrin:

Christi x

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for that Kate. Im going for the inactivated Nobivac, as that will last for 3 years.So I dont think that is a live virus??

I find it so ironic, that they have to have the Rabies jab, when the only 2 countries I am travelling between are both Rabies free(oz and the UK)

We want to get the jab done now, so we are safe to travel with them, when we are ready, rather than leave it until the last

They are my babies, and I am not looking forward to getting the jab done, but its either that, or not be able to take them home, which is not even a consideration

I know there are risks with any vaccination,but the Rabies one, just seems more harsh

we just are hoping they will be ok

Thanks for your best wishes :biggrin:

Christi x

No thats a killed vaccine:wubclub:

It is definitely worth having it done than having them spend the 6 months in quarantine.

Hugs

Kate:hug:

No thats a killed vaccine:wubclub:

It is definitely worth having it done than having them spend the 6 months in quarantine.

Hugs

Kate:hug:

Hopefully we will be ok, with that vaccination then

The cats had to spend time in qurantine, when we arrived in Melbourne, it was awful.

I have never seen them look so terrified and they came out with really bad cat flu. I would never put them through that again. So I have to have them vaccinated , so as they can come straight home once they land.

x:daydreaming:

We had our Siamese vaccinated with the killed vaccine recently, (valid for 3 years) and no reactions noticed. 4 weeks later we took him back to the vet to have a blood sample taken. The sample was sent to the UK for testing. It seems they dont trust it to be tested in Aus. When the result is known they will call us. The cat also needed to be micro chipped. Take note that there is a serious shortage of rabies vaccinne in Australia, and world wide. Dont take it for granted you will be able to get it done. The vets don't know if or when they will get more. There is a website that lists all the AQIS authorised vets who can give the vaccine. Start phoning around.

We are planning our return to UK to coincide with the 6 month waiting period. The cost of the vaccinne, blood test and micro chip was over $300.

I am on the Gold coast and cannot get the rabies vaccine anywhere, we go back in 6 months and have not got the money for quarantine, so looks like we will have to rehome our cats, which we do not want to do, so if anyone knows of any hidden vaccine please let us know, we have phoned every vet on AQIS website.

Archived