We are here.(Oz that is).

Mike@Bonbeach

Hi everyone:jiggy:

Finally made it.Flew out of Glasgow on the 3rd July just a few days after the "attack",but everything was working fine. Flew with Emirates-all very nice. Landed at Melbourne on the 5th,temperature was about 8C and raining buckets,mind you it was 6am but it soon warmed up to 11c but didn't stop raining.

We are now staying with our son Gary and his wife Lucinda in Bentleigh until we have sorted ourselves out with either rented or buying a place.

Haven't bought a car yet,there seems to plenty of low mileage ones around but haven't tried to talk the price down yet.

Went through immigration no problem and the only thing the customs wanted to look at were my golf shoes.

Now in the process of getting an OZ driving licence,no rush really as you do have three months.Australia Tax numbers are done on line,takes about 10 mins.Will be registering with Medicare in a few days-you have to wait 10 days for that.

We arranged a bank account with Commonwealth Bank before we left the UK and just had to turn up at the bank to identify ourselves(Passport,driving licence)and the account was activated,all very friendly.

TV is:no:

Post you again later.

Mike and Connie.

Guest NIGEL

Hi Mike and Connie

Glad you are settling in well and the flight went ok for you, you will be chasing your own tail with that many things to do but i'm sure you will enjoy your new adventure as we are in Brisbane.

Karen n Nigel and Boys

Congratulations on a safe arrival hun, nice to hear peoples journeys and updates, can i just pick your brains or anyone else who knows answer with you mentioning Commonwealth Bank, are they a good bank and do you have to pay tax on money transfers from here with it?

Again i am glad you had a safe journey and the weather cant be worse than here thats all you have to think of :biglaugh::twitcy:

Guest jonseywife

Glad youve landed safely in Oz......... Well done !!!!!!

Good luck and hope all goes well!!!!! :jiggy:

Guest OldiesRUs

Pleased to hear all is well.

Good to hear that Melbourne kept up with its reputation for rain, that's why it's called the Garden State. I remember the first time we went out there and we landed in pouring rain - couldn't believe it! However, they do need the rain as when we were out there in March this year, water reserves were down to 35%.

Good luck with everything and have fun house hunting.

Jean

Guest PaulnLisa

Pleased to hear you've landed saftely and are enjoying your new life down under. We fly 3 weeks on Sunday and can't wait!!

Lisa x

Guest asylon

Good luck, well done and congratulations !

Nice to hear how people get on in the first few weeks.

Keep us posted

A x

(will be doing the same in 8 long weeks)

Guest mandy1

Hi Mike & Connie

Glad to ehar you got there okay. It seems that you have everything under control. Good luck in yournew life & keep us posted!

Mandy x

Guest chris&dave

Hi Mike and Connie, we are coming in September and any hints on rental would be good. Also we need to buy a car, are you expected to try and bate them down on the price. Let us know how you get on.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mike & Connie

I'm THRILLED to hear that you are both safely in Oz . I'm so sorry that I didn't see your thread when your CP visas were granted. I've just found it now.

I'm glad you managed to get through Glasgow Airport without hassle.

ENJOY your new life - I'm sure you will. Please keep in touch and let us know your news when you have time.

Hugs

Gill

xx

Guest newnico

Hi Mike and Connie

I've been wondering when you'd pop up again on the other side...so pleased to hear you're safely there and making progress with all the admin-type stuff. I'm still stuck in London trying to get rid of what seems like a million books, but can't wait to be in Melbourne end of November (when the reservoirs are nice and full but it's summer!)

Keep posting, won't you, and hope you find a great place to live.

All the best

Nico

Guest The.Colebecks

Hi Mike & Connie,

Great to read that you've arrived safe and well.

Keep us posted with how its all going.

Karen xx

Archived