Christmas Postage

whopperdaisy

My local post office has a sign up detailing Christmas seamail postage dates. From here in Brisbane at least, you need to post no later than 21 September if you want seamail parcels to arrive for Christmas. Airmail is usually very quick even at Christmas time but the prices went up this year so it'll be expensive for anything large.

Australia Post has a good website with postage price calculators etc. International seems pretty simple and weight based. Domestic parcels are charged based on both weight and volume as far as I can tell, a bit more complicated. I find for domestic postage, the red and white prepaid satchels offer best value almost every time - they come in 500g for around $6 and 3kg for around $10 (you get a discount if you buy the satchels in packs of 10, I think maybe 5%).

The Australia Post shops usually have a good array of gifts, packing materials, even laptops and mobile phones. Some of the mail related gifts are worth a look. Also they have prepaid postcards with a range of Australian themes - these cost the price of the stamp, so the card itself costs you nothing. They can be posted to anywhere in the world.

Archived