Bringing the Dog along!

Guest Mike H

Dear all

My wife & I are hoping to be landing in Victoria later in the year. We are bringing our dog out with us & have made in roads into the process which thankfully seems straight forward. Our plan then (like most people in our boat) would be to rent somewhere for six months until we have had a chance to do a full recce.

Has anyone had any experience of renting a property that accomodates keeping a dog.

Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

Mike & Jayne (& Hoople the dog)

:)

Guest glennandkate
Dear all

My wife & I are hoping to be landing in Victoria later in the year. We are bringing our dog out with us & have made in roads into the process which thankfully seems straight forward. Our plan then (like most people in our boat) would be to rent somewhere for six months until we have had a chance to do a full recce.

Has anyone had any experience of renting a property that accomodates keeping a dog.

Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

Mike & Jayne (& Hoople the dog)

:)

Hi Mike and Jayne, I haven't had experience as I am waiting for my Visa:( But I have asked the question on another website and it seems if you goto a real estate to rent tell them the situation and say that you will flea bomb the place before you move out, they should be able to find you someone willing to accomodate you and the dog.

Hope that helps

Katie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Haven't had experience of bringing a dog, but we are renting with two cats. I found some agencies quite snottie and only offered us big/expensive properties. On the other hand, two were great. I had to be up-front and tell them as our cats like to get to know everyone in the neighbourhood.

Like the UK, some won't negotiate and some will. Might be worth taking a photo of the dog when you see the rental agents so they can describe it to the landlords. If they do let you, you will be expected to sign liability forms and make sure any damage is put right.

Also, renting isn't like the UK. There is paperwork to do, you can't always book appointments quickly to see a property (open house times are common) and there was hot competition when we looked in January. Therefore, it takes a little longer than we'd hoped.

Hope this helps. We used Ryslip Kennels in Binfield, Berks for our cats and they were amazing. Not sure if they are close to you but I would recommend them. Spotswood (Melbourne quarantine) were also great and looked after our cats very well.

Good luck!

Pj

• 3 years later...
Guest maggi

In any state in Australia most property adverts will have either no pets or pets Ok hope you lots of luck finding a nice place for you all

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Mike, Jayne and Hoople

Firstly, I will be honest and say it will take you a little longer to secure a rental than someone without pets. We usually say that 4 weeks in short term accommodation is enough time to secure a long term rental, however, with pets, I would consider 6 weeks minimum.

You will find that realestate agents will not usually consider you until you are actually over here. I do have a few realestate contacts who will help our clients with pets so if you get desperate give me a shout. We also have furnished short term accommodation that will accept pets, so again give me a shout if I can help. In regards to rentals 98% of rentals are on a 12 month contract rather than the 6 months.

Kate

Archived