Launceston General?

Guest Jasp

Hi all

Coming over in October to suss out a few potential employers. Have made contact with Launceston general and the vibe we get is very positive. Are there any nurses out there who can give us their opinions or indeed anyone who has been treated there? Is it situated in a nice area? How far from the beach is it? What kinda rep does it have in the community?

Cheers All and Kindest regards

:notworthy:

Jasp

How far from the beach is it?

Jasp

As I'm in Hobart I'll leave the locals to comment on the LGH - except to say that my elderly mother-in-law has had several stays there in the last 18 months and has been treated very well.

Launceston itself is inland from the coast, so you are looking at coastal beaches (Low Head, Greens Beach etc.) being about 50 km away. Siamsusie could give you an idea what that means in driving time, as that is her "patch".

Guest siamsusie
Hi all

Coming over in October to suss out a few potential employers. Have made contact with Launceston general and the vibe we get is very positive. Are there any nurses out there who can give us their opinions or indeed anyone who has been treated there? Is it situated in a nice area? How far from the beach is it? What kinda rep does it have in the community?

Cheers All and Kindest regards

:notworthy:

Jasp

Hi Jasp,

Launceston is on the River Esk,with the River Tamar running up alongside where I live. 38kms from Launceston which is about 35 mins from town.

Lowhead is very interesting but Georgetown isnt my cup of tea.... Greensbeach Yorktown where we live is on the west Tamar, (grape growing country) and is very pretty we have some beautiful beaches where we live and surrounded by the Tamar and the National Parks.

Most people commute from here into town Jasp, but if you are on a late shift, driving home this way after leaving town can be an experience, the roos, possums etc certainly slows me down lol.

Launceston Hospital enjoys a good reputation from a staff perspective , amongst our Tasmanian friends I have heard nothing but praise, obviously you will get the negatives, that goes without saying lol. I have a few friends in the medical profession that are employed there who speak highly of the place. I am working overseas on FIFO but I certainly wouldnt haven any hesitation as and when my turn comes to remain on shore to work there. .LH is far better than the private hospitals in the area.:wubclub:Susie

http://www.planbooktravel.com.au/attractions/tas/greens-beach/narawntapu-national-park

http://www.about-australia.com/tasmania/launceston-tamar-valley/destinations/greens-beach/

http://www.whereis.com/tas/greens-beach#session=MTY=

Hi Suze,

:smile:

You are certainly a mine of info!! Thanks you for the feedback. Your mentioning possums - we had one in our roof last year and it drove us nuts. I was determined to at least establish that it was a possum rather than a rat, so every morning (at around 3 am) when it would begin its 'rounds' I would jump up from bed (scare the living daylights out of the wife) and run out of the house with my bike torch. Until one night I realised that, a) Possums can be stubborn buggers (as it sat in a tree on the other side of the neighbour's garden fence) staring me out, and b) I realised that i was standing with a strong light shining into the neighbour's garden in the middle of the 'night' wearing nothing but my jox!!! I didn't do it again on account of the people at the bottom of the garden might call the police!! If you don't mind me asking, what's 'FIFO?'.

We live in Lincolnshire in the Uk in rented - it's agricultural and is surrounded by small market towns and we kinda like it like that really. We come from a big city in the UK originally, but the way you describe where you live, sounds like we'd like it there. The commute home from the place we worked in Adelaide usually took us half an hour but that was more or less an urban drive. Thanks for the feedback regarding the actual hospital - you're right - negatives and positives come hand-in-glove with any public service especially healthcare. As nurses, my wife and I (and most others I guess) see certain places criticised when at the same time they are praised by others. I think the idea is to be objective, open-minded and just live the life you wanna live. We would only be two of us coming over in the first instance, with an idea to get the remaining two 'children' (adults!!) to come later. This time they are up for it. Our youngest lad is in cairns at the moment and he'd definately be up for it, but we don't mind if they wanna make their own way after a while to melbourne or Sydney and start having their adventures. Really appreciate your support and your posts Suze.

:chatterbox:

Kind Regards

Jasper:notworthy:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Jasp.

You are welcome. I dont know whether you are wanting to rent first, so I have pulled out a very nice example of what is available for $290 pw. Deviot is on the River Tamar

436 Deviot Road, Deviot, Tas 7275 - House for Rent #404734537 - realestate.com.au 30 mins to Launceston. $305pw.

187 Rosevears Drive, Rosevears, Tas 7277 - House for Rent #404749968 - realestate.com.au 20 mins out of CBD.

Rosevears, contact agent - House for Rent #404052801 - realestate.com.au $330.pw

44 Flinders St, Beauty Point, Tas 7270 - House for Rent #404717253 - realestate.com.au $260pw

You can always see if you like the Hospital/area before committing to buying. I did notice doing a search that Launceston Hospital were offering housing packages etc but how upto date this is I really couldnt tell you. As far as both cities are concerned Hobart is definately the more prettier & vibrant city but they both have their merits. We have family living in Hobart , which is 2 hrs away from Launceston. I love Port Arthur and some of the neighbouring villages, but I am also happy with our choice here in the north, 40 mins from Devonport for the Spirit of Tasmania - Melbourne. I remain in awe of the greenery and rolling fields ... being able to ski on Ben Lomond .. we have had a very heavy snow fall, so thats where we are off to this weekend. Cradle Mountain is amazing as is Mount Wellington (South). You really are spoilt for choice on this island.

We are surrounded by the Tamar Wine growers, fruit/apples and Lavendar fields.

We subscribe to the "cottage industries" here.... someone will know someone who knows someone and personally I dont find it expensive... I compare this to WA (north) .... organic fruit and veggies grown locally at sensible prices or wayside Fruit/Veggie/Eggs shopping from wayside houses. Meat we obtain locally or from our brother-in laws farm and generally farmers here will cut you in for bulk buying which makes it much cheaper in the long run.

Choices of supermarkets are limited to Coles/Woolworths or local IGA's so yes I do shop around and particularly for offers.

I wont bore you with my Tassie Hawkes (Footie) the stadium is in Launceston but I hold them dear to my heart:jiggy:

I barter for everything! much to my husband's embarrassment which even includes Target & K Mart on the odd occasion:biglaugh:

Electricity bills we keep down by running off wood burners a licence to cut wood for 3/4 months = $49 for DIY wood which is free and running power hungry items like dryers on a gen set. Living rural as do we run off rain water and make sure we have adequate supplies for a 2 yr period. It has made me more more aware of water and use "grey" for the garden.

The negatives for me are few, poor mobile/internet connections in some areas. If I want to whinge it is generally over this matter:huh:.

As you quite rightly stated, live the life you live I will be asking you the very same question soon "how do you find LGH"? I sincerely hope you and LGH benefit from each other.

Some people love Tasmania others hate it, we dont all have the same taste, requirements etc.

Possums! lol they can stare you out for sure Jasp! we have a mum & babe somewhere around and they are exceptionally noisy... scared the living daylights out of me when I first moved here.

FIFO=Fly in fly out we both work 2 & 2 in Asia... I have an elderly dad living in northern Thailand who thinks he isnt so elderly any more and it is useful to make sure only l pr of shoes are outside of his door:biggrin:.

I have to search now for some sheep skin for the "decubitus ulcers" , been downloading music and playing on PIO all day so give us a shout. I will try and give you some pointers (inexperienced) for your "Living Arts" post.

Best regards

Susie x:wubclub:

Archived