Hello to all!

Rakesh1977

Hi everyone,

My name is Rakesh, I'm currently living in the UK (Stratford upon Avon) and have made the big decision to leave it all behind for a new life in Oz.

I've been working in my own dental practice as a general family dentist for the past 10 years and now I'm looking for a more fulfilling and rich lifestyle.

I'm hoping to fly out in the new year (January 2011) and I've started the visa process which is skilled migration through sponsored by a dental recruitment agency DJS.

Its been really hard work getting all the information together but now I'm waiting for my share in the practice to be sold and I'm free to move.

I have like many a lot of worries but hoping someone will help. My biggest concern is getting to know people once I get there. I'm 33 and leaving behind my girlfriend - its been a very hard decision :( I'm more interested in making a good group of friends but the books I've read say its harder for people in their 30's who aren't married or moving out there with a partner.

Is there any truth in that? What have been other peoples experiences?

I haven't yet decided where I want to live and work but I've asked the agency to look for jobs between Byron Bay and Newcastle...is this a good place to start or should I stick to the big cities?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rakesh

Hi Rakesh,

Making friends can be difficult wherever you move to if you are alone, however, it depends a lot on the kind of person you are. If you're a combination of comfortable with your own company and outgoing enough to reach out, you will be fine. If you have interests that are popular here, sport especially, that will help. Wherever you move to it is likely there will be people on this site close by so it is good to start to build a network this way too.

There are some wonderful towns in the Byron to Newcastle area, is there any special reason you chose that region? Where to move probably depends largely on what you enjoy and are interested in. Byron is laid back, quite affluent but quite known for alternative/new age type interests. It is a big enough town to have activities, small enough to have a community feel - very popular with tourists and beautiful, can get pretty busy at peak season. Some of the other towns are a reasonable size too but a bit less tourism focused. The cities are better for nightlife and of course have greater variety. If you're not a fan of the big cities but like to be in proximity, you could consider the Gold Coast (probably a great market for cosmetic dentistry!) or Sunshine coast.

I like Byron a lot, I can't assume you will have the same tastes however I really don't hear anything bad about the place. Certainly you can have a great lifestyle and it is beautiful there. Too quiet if you want the big city feel but there's plenty to do otherwise. A great place to start out if you're reasonably laid-back but still like to be around a busy town when the mood suits.

Archived