What's Our TRA Worth to Ozzie Employers?

Herbster

Don't mean to sound too cynical::radar:

But what value does the TRA have (other than a number which means something to someone on your Visa Ap?) once you are looking for work Down Under?? We know it is NOT a qualification, so precisely what's it point?

It causes all kinds of consternation & worry to get, & everyone is overjoyed when they are successfully assessed, so they can joyfully proceed to the actual Visa Application process!

However,when you get Down Under does it mean anything to a prospective Auzzie Employer?

Can anyone with experience of finding a job in their Trade Assessed skills field (or not), let us know how the procedures work? I gained my electronics qualification & much experience through the Military & defense work, but will I need some kind of license to continue in this filed in SA or Tassie, + what all's involved in that? And if I decided to go for something completely differently, even though I have great & varied skills, would I be taken seriously?

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times, but we're quite new to this & can't help wondering, that if there are 2 people after the same job, would the employer go for the Aussie or the Best Person for The Job???

Thanking you in advance for your assistance,

Herbster (drying out after a very soggy weekend...)

Guest kdal

Hi Herbster, Great question to ask and I unfortunately having the answers as the same questions go over in my mind. A friend of ours arrived in Brisbane 4 weeks ago and his Uncle has just told us that he is working as a Postman!! He went over to Oz as a Mechanical Services Engineer!!!! We really need to try and catch up with him ourselves and find out what on earth happened!! Did he just want to be a postman after all those years of training or was there no choice. He done his TRA and went on a 136 skilled visa, so looks like you can get a different job if you wish too.

I know a few people on here whose families have been lucky enough to get the job that they want but what I don't understand is if we as 'migrants' have to be so qualified why do some people struggle to get good jobs with the decent pay.

People could read this as I am moaning, I'm not moaning but after this news a little confused.

Ile watch your thread as interested in the answers too!!!

Regards

p.s. Hope you dry out soon

Guest kimdownie

Herbster,

I believe the reason for having to pass your skills assessment is so that if the S**t hits the fan and you cant get the job you desire, that the worse case senario is that you can use the trade that you applied under to find a job, therefore not claiming on their benefits system.

Jo,

thats an interesting point as phil has applied under the trade of refrigeration mechanic but has been in management for 7 years and intends on doing a similar management position when we get to oz.

I didnt realise that it had a reflection on how soon you can apply for a mortgage.

Kim xx

Guest Scarletfever
hehehehe,

what a career change that would be then Dan!!!

LOL...yeah...bit different to carpentery I suppose!:twitcy:

Guest kimdownie

ooooh, I dont know.... I am sure if you think hard enough you could find some similarities!!! LOL

Guest Scarletfever
Hey Kim dont quote me on it hun..Just that the estate agent emailed me back and thats what they said...It may be just that estate agent that works that way....

I only emailed them because I have seen my dream house and they are the ones dealing with it

You gotta give us the link Jo!!!! We all wanna see how our own little PIO princess is gonna be shacked up! Gotta make sure that its good enuff and all that sort of stuff!!:spinny:

Guest kimdownie

wow Jo,

your dream house eh? how exciting.....wouldnt it be lovely if paul could get it all sorted out for you before you get over there, so he could carry you over your AUSTRALIAN threshold!!!.......ahhhh how romantic

Guest thekeg95

hi Herbster

The TRA is important for the paper work on both side ie your visa and skills recognition for an employer who is looking to sponser. After that you mite as well burn it!

You will most likley need state recognition of your electrical skill to work unsupervised

It's a pain in the butt i know, but a friend of mine is a sparkie in the NT and still needs to get a license to work in South Aussie

STEVE

hi Herbster

The TRA is important for the paper work on both side ie your visa and skills recognition for an employer who is looking to sponser. After that you mite as well burn it!

You will most likley need state recognition of your electrical skill to work unsupervised

It's a pain in the butt i know, but a friend of mine is a sparkie in the NT and still needs to get a license to work in South Aussie

STEVE

Just as I thought - it's such a scam!! But I guess the bureaucrat's need something to do, counting us all in; 445 installation electricians, 355 residential plumbers, 748 cardiac nurses.... How can you say Oz still has a skills shortage!? And proves to skeptical citizens that their emigration system is controlled & working. As for us; I guess it'll be kind of back to SQ1; but I think it's a lesson to people, that maybe they need to have sufficient Xtra funds to relaunch their career Oz-side, which is pretty well what BH is considering! But that sounds crazy doesn't it - after all the skills & experience acquired???

Herbster

Scratching his head & shaking his paws in considerable bewilderment; this would confuse the most sophisticated bear!

Hi Herbster, Great question to ask and I unfortunately having the answers as the same questions go over in my mind. A friend of ours arrived in Brisbane 4 weeks ago and his Uncle has just told us that he is working as a Postman!! He went over to Oz as a Mechanical Services Engineer!!!! We really need to try and catch up with him ourselves and find out what on earth happened!! Did he just want to be a postman after all those years of training or was there no choice. He done his TRA and went on a 136 skilled visa, so looks like you can get a different job if you wish too.

I know a few people on here whose families have been lucky enough to get the job that they want but what I don't understand is if we as 'migrants' have to be so qualified why do some people struggle to get good jobs with the decent pay.

People could read this as I am moaning, I'm not moaning but after this news a little confused.

Ile watch your thread as interested in the answers too!!!

Regards

p.s. Hope you dry out soon

Hi There:

Thanks for being concerned for the well-being of my fur, as it's a mighty fine coat, befitting a bear of such pedigree; I hate getting wet & becoming musty is a real bear turn-off; there's nothing worse than a musty bear!...

From our understanding you need the successful TRA to get into OZ & if, as my Better Half is applying as a skilled independent, I assume it's also true that you can go & do pretty much what you want once you are there. But - someone has to employ you. I've also heard that you're unlikely to get a mortgage if you are out of trade & having our own home is an important motivation for leaving here. I'm not saying my BH wants to work outside his trade, but continue to develop & progress beyond its basic boundaries .

My Question is, how feasible is it to find a job with the skills we have with OZ Government Stamp of Approval? As a generalization, will Aussie employers welcome us all with open arms & help us obtain necessary certification in order to work the jobs they are desperate to fill, or is this a myth? I & I'm sure you, are looking to hear from emigrants that have been through the process of job hunting & are willing to share their experiences with us all; if only so that we are better prepared & better understand the Ozzie mind-set when we present them with our job applications.

Herbster

(He's from a village on the shores of Lake Superior in Wisconsin - anyone ever been there? He's in danger of becoming a Grumpy Bear though, as the showers just won't quit - & just how much rain does anyplace need? Enough Already!)

Guest dunnarunna
there's nothing worse than a musty bear!...

having a bear behind on a cold day could be worse:swoon:

donna

Guest Abi&Dan

My OH is a mechanic and wants to retrain as a refrigeration mechanic in Oz. Luckily we're on spouse's visa so no stinky TRA.

... However, due to the change in career I have been researching a lot and essentially 100% agree with what others have said - once you have your visa in your sticky paw you may as well burn the TRA (though I'm not advocating forest fires).

Not sure about the mortgage thing though so maybe keep it for that.

The Aussies expect everyone to prove that they can work to the Oz level so most 'trades' have registration type things and you can't earn the big bucks until you're registered (for electricians and plumbing - and probably others too - employers actually take on one or 2 registered people so they can sign off everyone's work and most people can be paid less). However, Brit tradesmen usually are at the right level so shouldn't have trouble with the exams required - but may need to bear in mind difficulty getting jobs without those exams - for which there can be really long waiting periods.

Good question anyway and good luck!!

Guest dunnarunna

i think the changes being made in september will change this, in future certain trades will be assessed by vetasses instead of tra & at the end you will receive a australian qualification its going to be done in 3 stages & its going to cost loads more, so i for one am glad we got in when we did even if the tra may be worthless when we get there,hubby said if he struggles to get brickie work he`d clean loos as long as he`s there:huh:.i went and had a look on tra website just to see what the changes were going to be.

donna

Archived