Citizenship Issue after WA sponsorship !

Guest WSB

Hi all,

I have been in WA for 1.5 years (out of the 2 )on SS visa 886 and i am eligible for citizenship next month, i am planning to apply for it. ( I am eligible because I worked on a working visa for 4 years in oz before movin to WA- DIAC has confirmed my elibility)

1.is there a difference in applying for citizenship since you're sponsored?

2 Can i move after i am a citizen?

3 Is it alright to have the citizenship in another state as my friends can participate?

4 whats the procedure here?-

Thank you all,

William

If you're eligable for Citizenship then it doesn't matter if you're state sponsored or not.

I did mine last year so the process may have changed, but we sat the test in Perth and also submited our application on the same day. You nominate where you want to have your ceremony (until you've had the actual ceremony you're not officially a citizen). We had our citizenship ceremony in our local shire/city which was Melville. They're usually held once a month - we waited 4 months for our ceremony.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi all,

I have been in WA for 1.5 years (out of the 2 )on SS visa 886 and i am eligible for citizenship next month, i am planning to apply for it. ( I am eligible because I worked on a working visa for 4 years in oz before movin to WA- DIAC has confirmed my elibility)

3 Is it alright to have the citizenship in another state as my friends can participate?

Thank you all,

William

Hi William

To answer your questions:

No. There is no difference.

If you are not happy where you are, you can move straightaway if you want to. Whether or not you become a Citizen as well is irrelevant to this particular question. The Sponsoring State hopes that you will make your long term home in the sponsoring State but if you have decided not to do that, nobody would stop you from moving to a different State and nobody would penalise you for doing so.

In your shoes, I would move to the State that you want to live in and where your friends live. Once you get to the new State, you can then deal with the entirely separate question of your Citizenship. Because you will be living in the new State, it will be convenient for you to deal with the local officials in your new State in order to organise your Citizenship ceremony locally there. Then all your friends will be able to attend the ceremony but I'm not sure how many supporters they allow you to take to a ceremony. I think it depends on the size of the venue where the ceremony is to be held. Ask the local officials in the new place, I would suggest.

Study the Citizenship website and follow the instructions contained in it, I suggest.

Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen

Cheers

Gill

Archived