Dandenong - which suburb to choose?!

Guest ScotsMcW

Guest ScotsMcW

Hi there - first post...we're moving to Melbourne next April. I will be working as a Graduate Midwife, based at Dandenong Hospital. We are currently looking into areas that we want to live in...we don't want to be in the city. We have two kids, ages 5 and 11 and want a lovely family suburb with good schools and plenty outdoor activities. My daughter who is 11 is horse-mad, so somewhere with a stables is a must, and we are both into orienteering so somewhere with a local club would be great too.

Having looked around so far on the web, we like the look of Berwick and Narre Warren South - not sure how far the commute for me will be though? Don't really want to commute more than 30-40mins, as I'll be working long shifts. Any other areas which you could recommend?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

This is a brilliant website - learning so much!

The McWilliam family.

A lot of people have moved to Berwick from Dandenong. It is a rapidly developing area and looks attractive and still has a bit of a country feel. I don't know Narre Warren so well but have heard it is similar.Other areas near Dandenong are Frankston and the Peninsula, Rowville, Lysterfield , Cranbourne.

Berwick is 1 hour on the train exactly. Would be longer in rush hour traffic. A great area, but the houses do sem to be built quite close together!!! (that's my only worry, as we too are considering this area) Plenty of horsey stuff to do out that way and good for sprts activities. Maybe consider a career change tha does not require you to work in the city???? Having to work in the city really does restrcit where you can live due to the traffic. And living closer is expensive to buy $750,000 - $800,000 ++++ Renting seems to be affordable though. Have a look on real estate au.

Sorry, just realised that it is YOU that is working in dandenong. Commuting from berwick to dandenong should be fine. We think it is with a 30min drive. We are moving over in 4 weeks, so can let you know for sure then!!

I would look at Narre Warren North, Upper Beaconsfield if you are into horsey things. Narre west is ok too

Endeavour Hillis is close for a commute as is North Dandenong and these areas have older larger homes with more land. Also on the same side of Dandenong as the hospital.

Guest ScotsMcW

Hi there - thanks for that:wubclub::laugh:, everyone! Much appreciated. Keep me posted on how you get on moving there! As for change of career, no chance :nah: - just going to be graduating in Dec this year and it's been a long three year slog to become a midwife!

Am off to have a look at the places you've suggested.

xx

Petal - Endeavour Hills look lovely! x

The higher parts are nice, I worked with a couple of people who lived there and they like it. I think its the proximity to places. It does have a bus service. The suburb is about 30 years old so that there are a lot of homes of this era and there are newer ones as the suburb grew towards Narre Warren North.

Another popular suburb is Rowville which is further away but commutable.

Archived