Help with choosing a shortlist of suburbs?

Bobths

My husband and I are both 30 with a current combined income of just over £50,000 p.a. (he's a computer nerd and I work in accounts). We enjoy cycling, cooking, wine, walking, market shopping, picnics and BBQs (the exercise is mostly to work off the food!).

We'd have to rent at first, and would like some advice on which suburbs may a) suit us and b) be within our price range. We're not sure what salaries we could get in Melbourne but any help based on the above information would be much appreciated - we are hoping my OH can improve his salary but not planning on it. Ideally we'd like either a house with a decent garden or somewhere with a park/open space nearby and not more than an hour's commute to the CBD (as thats where I'm guessing we'll end up working).

Thanks in advance :wubclub:

Guest Noodle

Hi, is this for State Sponsorship to show research or actual 'we are arriving and need to know fast'? The reason I ask - if it is for State Sponsorship, we just put the regions we were looking at and why. If it is for the latter then someone already there will be able to help you. Good luck. x

The Melbourne area is a huge sprawling place, north south east and west. Inner suburbs are the most expensive and the further out you go the more reasonable house for dollar.

Have a look at the Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria site this will give you all the transport options and the routes. You can then visit realestate.com.au and domain.com.au and have a look at property in the suburbs you select.

Good luck. Have a read about the suburbs here in Vic forum also.

Hi, is this for State Sponsorship to show research or actual 'we are arriving and need to know fast'? The reason I ask - if it is for State Sponsorship, we just put the regions we were looking at and why. If it is for the latter then someone already there will be able to help you. Good luck. x

Its neither really. We have a 175 visa and are planning on making the move at end of Oct/early Nov. We've got Where to Live in Melbourne and have looked at Domain and realestate.com and still aren't really any closer to knowing where we'd like to live - other than Melbourne generally.

The Melbourne area is a huge sprawling place, north south east and west. Inner suburbs are the most expensive and the further out you go the more reasonable house for dollar.

Have a look at the Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria site this will give you all the transport options and the routes. You can then visit realestate.com.au and domain.com.au and have a look at property in the suburbs you select.

Good luck. Have a read about the suburbs here in Vic forum also.

Thanks for the linky - that will certainly help with narrowing down our choices. I think we'll have to manage with one car for a while so I don't want to be too far from public transport links.

I don't think I'll 'get' the scale of Melbourne until we actually get there. I do a 45 minute commute anyway, and OH does an hour/hour and a half so an hour into the CBD won't be that much different I don't think.

My husband and I are both 30 with a current combined income of just over £50,000 p.a. (he's a computer nerd and I work in accounts). We enjoy cycling, cooking, wine, walking, market shopping, picnics and BBQs (the exercise is mostly to work off the food!).

We'd have to rent at first, and would like some advice on which suburbs may a) suit us and b) be within our price range. We're not sure what salaries we could get in Melbourne but any help based on the above information would be much appreciated - we are hoping my OH can improve his salary but not planning on it. Ideally we'd like either a house with a decent garden or somewhere with a park/open space nearby and not more than an hour's commute to the CBD (as thats where I'm guessing we'll end up working).

Thanks in advance :wubclub:

Hi there, we are in Cranbourne East and I too work in accounts, apart from the city there is a lot of work going in the Dandenong area, not great to live there tho so any of the suburbs at a 30 min radius, Berwick, Narre warren south or Cranbourne East are very family orientated and we are only 15 min from the beach and 30 mins from the Dandenong ranges and 45 mins from the city, centrally located. Let me know if you need any help.

Trudes x

Hi there, we are in Cranbourne East and I too work in accounts, apart from the city there is a lot of work going in the Dandenong area, not great to live there tho so any of the suburbs at a 30 min radius, Berwick, Narre warren south or Cranbourne East are very family orientated and we are only 15 min from the beach and 30 mins from the Dandenong ranges and 45 mins from the city, centrally located. Let me know if you need any help.

Trudes x

Thanks for your post Trudes - how are the trains going to the CBD in rush hour? Are they already full by the time they get to Cranbourne/Narre Warren/Berwick? And are there places to park at the train stations?

We've had a look at rentals in all of the suburbs you mentioned, but I think Berwick might be a bit pricey for us. Cranbourne and NW are looking more likely out of those three.

Thanks for your post Trudes - how are the trains going to the CBD in rush hour? Are they already full by the time they get to Cranbourne/Narre Warren/Berwick? And are there places to park at the train stations?

We've had a look at rentals in all of the suburbs you mentioned, but I think Berwick might be a bit pricey for us. Cranbourne and NW are looking more likely out of those three.

Hi, have never travelled to the CBD in rush hour but believe it takes about an hour from here and stops at almost every station. cranbourne is a seperate line and falls at the end/beginning and therefore would be empty.

Cranbourne Line - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria

The other suburbs are on a seperate line. Merinda Park is a popular station as is placed slighty out of town with a car park, however the main cranbourne line also has a large car park. No one seems to ever have any problems with the parking at stations, not that i've heard anyhow. Keep in touch and feel free to ask any questions.

Trudes x :v_SPIN:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kitkat37

Judging by your interests I would suggest looking around Lilydale/Chirnside Park area. It is a little way out from city but it has rail link in, it is close to the amazing wineries, beautiful scenery (they don't do hot air balloon flights here for nothing!)scenery and cycling in Yarra Glen and has both Eastland and Chirnside Park for the bigger shopping chains.

Also, you might find that your potential new employer is able to offer you the Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) tax break. If they can, and you are elifgeable for it on a 175 visa, it will knock 40% off your monthly rental costs.....

We live on the Mornington Peninsula at Somerville and we have a train and bus service here. Quite a few people commute to the city each day taking the local train to Frankston and joining the city train there. You always get a seat at Frankston as its the end of the line. Coming back its a different story though. Every second train I believe is an express which is supposed to cut down the travel time but as they all end up at Flinders St Station and stop for a while not so sure. However the train is full by Cheltenham.

We can walk to everything here in Somerville, high school, primary schools, kindergarten, catholic primary school, doctors, shopping centre, sporting clubs, one of the advantages. Why we lived here for our children to be able to get around on their own.

We are 10 minutes from Mornington, Mount Eliza, Hastings, Frankston by car.

As you are keen on cycling join Bicycle Australia we belong as oh is a cyclist. Road and Mountain. Membership — Bicycle Victoria He rides all over the Peninsula as he is fond of climbing hills, mad. Lots of bike paths everywhere in Melbourne and we have one here all the way to Summers from Somerville. Nice one to ride. Also on the Port Phillip side nice to ride down the bay.

Archived