Exciting or mad???

jen16

Hey Poms in OZ I am new so hope this is in the right place!! So here is the dilema. we are a young family with two wee ones aged 5 and 3 dreaming of oz. I spent a year there in 2003 and have loved it ever since. trying to talk hubbie into going there on a 457 visa for 2 to 3 years. we could never emigrate as extremely close to our families and know that we could never leave them for longer, scaredy cats I hear you say but the truth im afraid:biggrin:. Hubbie is a mine deputy with so many qualifications in the industry i wouldnt know where to start! In some websites this is on the skills shortage list but not on others??? Not really sure what my question is but just an insight into the mining industry I think. My husband works on one of the remotest mines in scotland with a car and boat journey but looking near Newcastle or Port MacQuarie would be ideal! Thank you so much for reading!!P.s if you are in Oz enjoy the sunshine. It has been raining here for 3 weeks!!!!! Jen x:jiggy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jen

Welcome to PIO. Where abouts did you stay when you came over in 2003? Just one question, if you are very close to your family will you be able to cope being away from them for the 2-3 years?

Your children are the right age to make the move as if it didn't work out it isn't going to be drastic taking them out of school and moving back.

Hope everything works out for you.

Kate

Hi Kate, thank you for posting a reply. I was travelling in 2003 so managed to see quite a bit of australia, spent most of my time in brisbane (staying with my cousin) and sydney but managed down as far as melbourne and up the east coast to the great barrier reef. Yes I would miss my family alot but to be honest we live in each others pockets so much that I think it would be a nice feeling to miss them. I also work with my sisters so it can get a bit fraught sometimes. It has become part of our lives to always be at each others houses etc we do not appreciate each other anymore and they seem to rely on us alot for babysitting and things that we are beginning to resent the fact that I can never say NO!I love my family to pieces but I have my own family now to consider. We would just love a new challenge and a change of scene for a wee while. I know that life doesn't revolve around the weather but our summer has been non existant, there is only so much that you can do inside before the fighting and moaning starts. Nursery and School have been closed for the summer since 28th June and we have had 4 lovely dry days but it has rained constantly for the rest of the time!:arghh:Anyway better go and break up the latest fight over a remote controlled car thanks again for posting

Archived