Out of Town Connections?

Herbster

Hi Y'all:

How pertinent is this Q, I don't know, but could be important for non-big-city-lovers! How are communications Out of Town??? Besides telepathic?

Please all non-Big-City-Dwellers: how do you keep in touch with the rest of the world? Howz mobile phone coverage generally - (even in UK, coverage is not universal or guaranteed) Is there a choice of providers as in UK? Thinking of folks taking a Big trip X country, how do they keep in touch? Share your xperiences, please.

TV: is it digital/analog? I notice lots of sat dishes- albeit that viewing can be painful to your health, as my vice is CSI, I need to keep my fix; so what r the available options?

And Broadband can't live without Broadband, either these days.... What questions should we be asking/considering? ?

Considering SA, Tassie & possibly Victoria (but rather not downtown Melbourne!) And what about $$$$costs?!

Thank you Kindly,

Herbster

:jimlad: (Feeling a bit frisker today as it's not quite so wet up North, although still chilly 12C!)

Hi Y'all:

How pertinent is this Q, I don't know, but could be important for non-big-city-lovers! How are communications Out of Town??? Besides telepathic?

Please all non-Big-City-Dwellers: how do you keep in touch with the rest of the world? Howz mobile phone coverage generally - (even in UK, coverage is not universal or guaranteed) Is there a choice of providers as in UK? Thinking of folks taking a Big trip X country, how do they keep in touch? Share your xperiences, please.

TV: is it digital/analog? I notice lots of sat dishes- albeit that viewing can be painful to your health, as my vice is CSI, I need to keep my fix; so what r the available options?

And Broadband can't live without Broadband, either these days.... What questions should we be asking/considering? ?

Considering SA, Tassie & possibly Victoria (but rather not downtown Melbourne!) And what about $$$$costs?!

Thank you Kindly,

Herbster

:jimlad: (Feeling a bit frisker today as it's not quite so wet up North, although still chilly 12C!)

We live in Country Victoria, about an hour north of Melbourne. We have no problems with mobiles or broadband. There is a very good website called //whirlpool.net.au/. This gives you an idea of broadband costs and whether you are likely to get it in a particular area or not. We are with Internode for our broadband and have had no problems as yet (touch wood!).

We tend to talk to the UK etc via Skype although do make the occasional telephone calls. It is worthwhile checking out the latest telephone deals to see who is offering the best on international calls.

We can only get Austar as Foxtel doesn't reach us here, but there is not a huge difference between the two! I too like CSI and all that, and yes it is no problem to get them out here.

One thing I would say is that most companies want you to sign up for 12 or 24 months and if you leave before then, they penalise you pretty heavily. Where possible we have tried not to do this as we dont know how long we will be staying in this area.

If you need any more info, just ask! :spinny:

Guest felix27

hi sorry to kind of high jack this but do are mobiles work out there as iv read we are on the same band?

Guest thekeg95

Hi Herbster

I'm in Alice Springs so in the middle of everywhere and all you have asked about is here

I can't tell you about the cost because after a while you just pay whatever it is but i think you'll find any town of a couple of thousand people or more will have full services and i don't know anybody who goes without due to cost. Even the Aboriginal communities have most of what you ask about. 98% of people the government say

STEVE

Hi Herbster

I'm in Alice Springs so in the middle of everywhere and all you have asked about is here

I can't tell you about the cost because after a while you just pay whatever it is but i think you'll find any town of a couple of thousand people or more will have full services and i don't know anybody who goes without due to cost. Even the Aboriginal communities have most of what you ask about. 98% of people the government say

STEVE

Cheers Steve:

Sounds as if things are ahead of England (although they'd have us believe we are So In The Lead of Every Place else! Yea Right!)

Good to know. In certain rural locations here, BB is still dial-up, while in certain remote (by UK standards) places they are installing wireless. I guess we are around 15Ks from our exchange & have basic BB service, which still gets cut off when my neighbors all get busy! (all 1/2 dozen!) Orange mobile/cell phone coverage is spotty too, only being able to make calls outdoors! The joys of Modern British Life... We've never had it sooo good?....

So when you are driving X-country, your mobile/cell will actually work??? I guess those road trains have to keep in touch somehow... So, do they have truck stops??

Cheers Everyone for your input

Herbster - attempting to dry out between showers & it's actually 16deegreesC! Summer may appear one day...:)

Guest thekeg95

HI HERBSTER

The truckies use a combo sat/cdma phone that will soon change to sat/nextG phone so you get cheap rates when close to towns and sat rates when out of towns.

In remote areas truck stops or towns can be 150 miles apart.

The communities use sat internet.

STEVE

Archived