Shipping company rip off warning!!!

Cruella2949

Hi all,

Yesterday I booked a shipping company to pack up our belongings and put them into storage.

Today the people who were arranged to rent our house pulled out on us forcing us to have to postpone our move.

I called the removal company and explained the situation (less than 24 hours after booking confirmation) and they told me that to cancel the scheduled removal it will cost us 30% of the total cost of the move which is over £4k.

Even though I have guaranteed them that we will definately use them, just a month later and that we dont want to cancel just postpone, the best they have offered us is the cost of cancellation waiver fee which is £205.00 (for 1 phonecall and one email)! The have told us that they have had to turn away work for the dates we have booked (in a fortnights time).

We are undecided what to do for the best but what I can advise you all is to make sure you consider this when you book!

I am absolutely devastated to be this 'robbed' at such an early stage but I guess if this is the service we are receiving now, heaven knows what would probably happen further down the line.

FYI, they are one of the BIG names to BEWARE!!!

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest proud2beaussie

I would be getting some legal advice if I were you Cruella,,ask them where in their terms and conditions document they set out EXACTLY any cancellation fees etc before you do anything,maybe ring either your solicitor or the citizens advice bureau but don't pay anything till you get advice.

Good Luck

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jo and Dave

I'd like to know who it is too, we have four companies coming at the end of the month to give his some quotes. But I will ask this question to all of them. Thanks.

Guest the terry's

If they are any good they will be able to fill these dates without any problem. Look closely at any of the paperwork they sent you and then seek legal advise. Unfortunately, if you did slag them off they could do you for libel, although if they are trying to pull this stunt it should be only fair to name them so we can all make an informative choice. Keep us posted please.

Helenx

to update....we contacted the removal estimator that came and measured up for us and he spoke to the branch manager and managed to sort it all out so there was nothing to pay after all....phew! though he did say that when we booked next time we had to be 100% sure of the dates as he would not be able to come to our rescue again!

Still something that you should all be very conscious of when making a booking :)

Guest proud2beaussie
can you not name and shame!?

This issue has been canvassed on the forum several times,the last time only a few weeks ago,I am not going to attempt to cover all the reasons why we don't allow naming and shaming I will simply repost the comments made by Rob,the site administrator and owner and the man who could be adversely affected by any leagl action that stemmed from a "naming and shaming"

If I could just clarify why we don't allow name & shame threads on the forum.

Australia doesn't offer the level of protection to publishers that some other countries offer. Regarding defamation in Australia, "Defamation action may be brought, not only against the original publisher (writer/speaker), but also against anyone who takes part in the publication or re-publication of the material. Furthermore, re-publication by someone other than the original writer may result in an action against the original writer as well as the re-publisher.... Internet Content Hosts (ICH) may be sued in relation to information published by someone else, for example, published by a person who used an ISP's or ICH's system, web server, chat boards, etc, to make information available via the Internet."

Since the turn of the year, we've been contacted 5 times with threats of legal action, and whilst it may be that if such action were to get as far as court, the legal action would fail, unfortunately the forum can't afford to take that risk.

Rob

Admin

I hope that makes it clear why we don't allow that sort of thing,we at PIO have a genuine desire to allow people to recount their experiences,good and bad,with service providers but our overriding duty is to protect the interests of the site owner.

Cheers

Nigel

Archived