Moving with a dog on a working holiday visa

Guest chrismoo

Guest chrismoo

Hello all,

I am living in London with my super dog Hooli. He's a 4 year old Australian Shepherd.

I've been toying with the idea of living out in Australia for a while. I looked at the options, and initially thought about applying for a skilled sponsored visa, as my occupation falls on the list (community worker) and as I have an uncle in Australia willing to sponsor me (sorry can't remember the visa code!). However, always hesitated because of the cost... it didn't feel right to be throwing so much money at it when ) I didn't know if I would want to stay long term and 2) I didn't know if I would get the visa at the end of it.

Then I started to think about applying for the working holiday visa. Lots of my friends have gone over on this visa to work and live, some have stayed on having been sponsored, others have come back.

My loose plan is to go over, see how things are, and if I am settled after a couple of months, fly Hooli over too (he will stay with family in the interim). If, on the other hand, it isn't working out, I just come back.

Is this crazy and unrealistic? The way I see it, even if I am only over there for the year, I would want Hooli with me. I can afford to get him and myself there and back if needs be.

I just want people's thoughts really! I think he would be fine in quarantine for a month... he's a happy, confident dog... I think I would be worse off worrying about him!

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!

Christina and Hooli

Guest shie6523

Hi Christina,

I'm in a kind of similar position as you.

I have a job waiting for me in Sydney but am debating whether to bring my dog with me straight away or leave him in the UK for 3 months whilst I get settled.

My problem is that the only person who could look after my dog, is my dad. He currently works night shifts and I don't think he'd tolerate the idea of being woken during daylight hours by my dog.

This leaves me in a difficult position whereby I may have to take the gamble and fly my dog out with me knowing that if I don't settle, it will be difficult to bring the dog back to the UK.

I know it doesn't answer your question - but I do kind of know what you're going through.

Darren.

Archived