Sponsored Relocation Expenses

Guest Johnthepom

Guest Johnthepom

Hi Everyone,

I've been offered a job in Melbourne and my prospective employer is allowing me up to $7500 AUD for shipping costs. I've done some research and it seems this will cover a 20ft container that should accommodate our household furniture and stuff that we will bring over. However we would also like to bring over my wifes car, as a replacement in Australis appears expensive and the shipping cost at around $2000 AUD is well below what we would lose on it in depreciation and replacement costs by selling it before we go.

Does anyone have any advice on typical relocation expenses that might be paid by a sponsoring employer and whether Australian Employers might commonly expect or be willing to pay for an incoming employees vehicle ot be shipped over?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

John

hiya ,,due to the costs and tax's involved in a shipping a vehicle to Australia i doubt you would get a sponser to cover the fees.If you have a browse through the transport section of this forum there are many different questions and answers on shipping cars,bikes,etc,most people do come to the same conclusion ,,,it really isnt worth it !hope this helps a little

Cal x

Hi John,

There is no hard or fast rules regarding relocation costs, as far as I know they dont even need to do this but do so to make the job more appealing to you. I think $7500 is a good package and I do know lots of people have said that the costs of shipping a car is not very cost effective. I think that the car has to have parts replaced etc if they are not to Auzzie standard.

We are unlucky or lucky which ever way you look at it, as OH is being sponsored by his uncles company and we have to pay all our relocation costs ourselves.

Good Luck

Em x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi.

We are getting a company (sort of thing) sponsorship. They are paying for our removals (40ft container) and flying us all (family of 5) over business class - including a 3 day stopover, however - they will not ship a car for us. From what I have read, although it is quite expecsive to replace, the cost of shipping and getting it sorted on the other side is quite hefty too. You may just be better buying once you arrive. Hope it all goes well.

Archived