confused nurse needing a little guidence

crosbyx4

hi from a first time user of forums in need of some help. . . . myself, hubby and two boys aged 8 & 9 have been talking about migrating to Australia for some time, I am a nurse so have been told we should not have any problems getting a visa (although I am not taking this for granted) and my husband has experience in a couple of fields his current job is working in enforcement for local council previous experience is within plastic moulding (setter/supervisor). My husband would move out tomorow no questions asked I am on the other hand a little more nervous . . . . .following a recent holiday to Brisbane (which included visiting areas such as noosa, caloundra, redcliff) I love the idea of moving as we had a fantastic time, the boys loved it and I think the lifestyle for ourselves and for the boys would improve vastly however I have a very close family and freind network in the uk and a job I love and so I am very nervous about leaving this behind. I know no one can make the decision for us but it would be great to hear about other peoples experiences good and bad to help me decide once and for all. Sorry if this is long winded as a way of saying hello . . . like I said new to this sort of thing so not sure if I am posting this in the right place . . . .the sort of things that would help are other nurses experiences of what it is like working in Australia ( I am a theatre scrub sister in ENT), if anyone can recomend any particular area or hospital to enquire to (we loved the caloundra area but would move anywhere which would be good for the boys), also my eldest son (9) has learning difficulties for which he recieves one to one help in main stream school (has a statement in lue) so if anyone could offer any advice regarding this or anything else that would be great. look forward to hearing from you all thank you :biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi the Crosbys and welcome to PIO

you will get a few people posting negative posts about nursing in Australia, but the majority will say it is alot better than the uk. My wife and i have just validated our visas in Brisbane and she visited the Prince Charles hospital and she thought it was great, they even had a swimming pool for staff to swim in at break times. The concensus of opinion is that they value nurses more and my wife has been treated badly on and off for 26 years in the uk, where she says they treat us with contempt. It is still hard work, but the patient to staff ratio is better than the uk and apparently theres no none qualified staff. The problem you might find is that you might like to live near Noosa, but is there any hospitals there. Best of luck and i am sure you will get some more good replies.

jim

Guest guest36187

They definately do value nurses more. I work in elderly care and have just been promoted to Clinical nurse consultant. There is a much better support network out here for EN/RNs.

More paperwork tho. I have found my resident care time severely limited compared to UK.

Guest smileykylie

crosbyx4 - I know you asked about nursing specifically but I noticed that you have a son with learning difficulties - if you do apply this may become an issue so might be good to get some professional advice. (not to scare you but just so you are aware)

Guest Roy Evans

My only advice is a quote I quite like.

"Sometimes, you need to take one step back to take two steps forward".

You have very little to lose in the long term. All you can do as a family is move over there and give it a try. If things don't work out, then you can always return home.

Archived