How does my education follow me??

Guest bl0ndejess

Guest bl0ndejess

My name is Jess and im 17 years old my family have been seriously thinking, discussing and looking into moving to oz. they feel it is the best move for us all and will have so much to offer. I agree that the experince shall be amazing and am greatful i am being offered the opportunity. However at 17 years old i have so much going for me in this country right now. im learning to drive, studying a BTEC National Diploma in Early Year at level 3 at college and i am looking to get a teaching degree at uni. however by the time we move i may have already setteled into a uni in this country and then move!! what will happen?? do i start again on the course and what is uni life like over there?? any help at all is fantastic for me to recieve and i shall be very thankful xxxxx

Guest pippycol

just go with the flow what is ment to be will be. you are young enough to start afresh and embark on new adventure at uni whether in this country or oz

good luck

pip

Guest CanberraSufferer

I came to Oz after doing A-Levels to go to the uni of queensland (UQ)... i was so surprised at how flexible the system here is.. you do 4 subjects a semester and when you've done a certain number you get a degree! simple! you could probably apply for credit for any course you started in the UK.

I totally enjoyed my time at UQ - its such a beautiful campus and a lovely city. I was until recently at the australian national uni (ANU) in canberra which is also a brilliant uni (the best in Oz if you believe the league tables) but the town (can't really call it a city) is too small, cold etc etc for my liking.

Most aussies go to uni in their home town and its not uncommon to live with your family while going to uni. There are fees but they can go on the slate (HECS or HELP debt - mine's over $20K).

What other things do you want to know?

Guest bl0ndejess

i want to say thank y andrew for getting back to me its nice to know u have done what im going to proberbly do unless we dont move until iv started uni in england but like u say i can transfer for begin uni life the oz way. the idea of 4 subjects semster is great!! where were u in england b4 oz can i ask?? and what do u do now? thnx so much 4 getting back 2 me ur experince has helped me so much i know can do it!!!! its just scary. i would not want to move to go 2 uni i wud do wat i say most the aussies do and go in my home twn. thnx Jess xxxx

I came to Oz after doing A-Levels to go to the uni of queensland (UQ)... i was so surprised at how flexible the system here is.. you do 4 subjects a semester and when you've done a certain number you get a degree! simple! you could probably apply for credit for any course you started in the UK.

I totally enjoyed my time at UQ - its such a beautiful campus and a lovely city. I was until recently at the australian national uni (ANU) in canberra which is also a brilliant uni (the best in Oz if you believe the league tables) but the town (can't really call it a city) is too small, cold etc etc for my liking.

Most aussies go to uni in their home town and its not uncommon to live with your family while going to uni. There are fees but they can go on the slate (HECS or HELP debt - mine's over $20K).

What other things do you want to know?

Guest CanberraSufferer

i was in bournemouth before i came here - i came to oz about 8 years ago to go to uni. At the moment i'm between jobs, but i'm about to start a MSc part time.

it is scary coming to a new country, but oz is so fantastic i think its worth it :).

• 8 months later...
Guest MartinG

Hi,

we're hoping to move to Sydney later this year but I am worried about my eldest son's future. He's just started a foundation degree in Digial Media. He was able to get onto this course by virtue of his BTEC National Diploma (level 3) in media (games development) - he has no 'A' levels. Is this a recognised qualification in Oz and, if it isn't, what can we do to further his education over there?

Archived