The Elliotts reccie report

Elliott-Family

Hi guys, we are a family of 3 with 2 hairy dogs that will also be coming to oz. 3 days before flying out to Melbourne for a reccie and to validate our visas we recieved and accepted an offer on our house after nearly 2yrs of trying to sell!

We flew with Qantas and had no worries with the service. At times the meals were a little odd like dim sum for breakfast and fried spinach with beans but on the whole we thought they were ok and would use them again if the price was right. We paid about £1800 for the 3 of us. Our flights was direct apart from a brief 1hr re-fuelling stop in Hong Kong. It was really good to get the chance to walk about and stretch our legs before the second leg of the flight.

We arrived in Melbourne at about 9.30pm and cleared customs really quickly with no drama. Unfortunately the digeridoo fanfare didnt happen when our passports were stamped!

After arrival we were promptly met by a mini bus that took us the car rental office. We used Rent-for-less cars, we will be using them again when we move and would definately recommend them. Within 20mins we were on our way to the rental at Werribee South Caravan Park where we had rented a 2 bed chalet. The park itself was really clean and for us centrally located as we knew we would be looking around the Geelong area primarily but also wanted to have a look around Werribee, point cook, wyndum. We did this trip on a bit of a small budget but the chalet was a great size for us and very clean. Again, we would definately recommend them.

We really liked Geelong and it offered good opportunity for work. With no real planning and fuelled by wine, i emailed a manager who i've had some contact over the past year just to say i was in Oz, within 2days i was sat in a interview and offered work in a area of my choice, with a payrise and the promise of a team leader role if i wanted........happy days :jiggy:We absolutely loved Ocean Grove and thought we had found where we would settle. We were able to rule out some areas to live as over our time in Oz we developed a bit of a list of priorities that we wanted when we finally made the move. Point cook has some fantastic houses tho and a shiney new shopping centre but just not somewhere we thought we wanted to settle. We all liked point cook, werribee and wyndum but it just didnt grab us like Ocean Grove. All was going well or so i thought until we went to Mornington. After a couple of days there i knew what was coming........somewhat sheepishly the Mrs leant over and declared........."i love Mornington and want to live here!!" :arghh: Yes it is beautiful, a stunning coastline, great beaches, with good shops. Its very green, well established and has a relaxed feel that we all want. Now i've just got to find a job unless i'm gonna row across the bay to work in Geelong!

Pricewise, somethings are more expensive, others cheaper. Overall tho I think it's very similar to the UK, it does seem to balance out i think. We bought a payg mobile internet dongle which was really useful. I must say tho you Ozzies really know how to grow big veg. 1 carrot did the 3 of us for a meal!! It was this big :hug:

Melbourne has a very relaxed feel and the people are generally very friendly. Non of us felt out of place and we were all so excited about finally selling the house and moving. We had a few good days out doing fun stuff but generally concentrated on checking out areas to live.

Well I wont bore you any longer and i could just go on. Its safe to say the Elliotts loved Melbounre and cant wait to move. So long as i can get a job we'll be heading to Mornington if not then Geelong will get the nod but not in a sense of us having second best. Now bac at home we're pushing the house sale so that we can pack up and jet off. The oz streets arent paved with gold and we wont be rich when we land. We know we will have to work hard and at times tough it out but it does seem to offer what we want as a family. Oz here we come............................:jiggy:

Ian

Guest juliemtaylor

see I knew you'd love it here in Mornington.. Must admit I haven't been to Geelong though yet..

Good luck with the house sale and if you are coming here, let me know and I'll try to help if you need it..

Julie xx

see I knew you'd love it here in Mornington.. Must admit I haven't been to Geelong though yet..

Good luck with the house sale and if you are coming here, let me know and I'll try to help if you need it..

Julie xx

thanks Julie, may well take you up on help offer in future, cant beleive we may well be there by Sept sooooooooo excited

claire x

Archived