Is it worth shipping all your stuff back?

Guest catcomestoo

Guest catcomestoo

Hi there!

We are planning to go back to the UK and just starting to research the logistics. What a nightmare! No pain no gain, right?

Anyway, just wondering what people planning to move, or who have moved thought about or have done with regards to moving all your stuff. I came with a backpack and 20kg luggage allowance and now have a house full of stuff) plus baby, cat, and husband (who are coming with me).

Is it really worth shipping all your furniture and worldly goods halfway across the world? I read on this forum that about $7000 is what it costs to ship a 20ft container (does a household fit in this?) Has anyone just sold up everything here and started again from scratch?? We would probably rent to start with anyway and could get a furnished place. Most of our furniture is ikea anyway... would it be cheaper to buy new ikea stuff in the UK than to ship it??

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

ps also anyone got any idea how much taking the cat back costs (we have already had rabies vaccine and serology blood test)

Hi, we moved to Aus in 2007 and brought only suitcases. We went back to the UK June 2009, and took nothing we had accumulated back with us (except personal items), selling everything on Ebay etc. On our return, it was pretty cheap to replace what we needed immediately; Argos, Ikea, Asda etc, so much choice, and there is always a sale or offers on somewhere in the UK! Kids toys also get built up again quickly with birthdays/Christmas etc.

We've since come back to Aus, and this is where it gets expensive, the ping-ponging :sad:!

Our furniture was not in good condition with young kids, was only Ikea, Super Amart etc, so not worth shipping; this made it easier for us.

Good luck with your move,

Jo

Archived