Schools in Mornington/Frankston

Guest Sarah Konchesky

Guest Sarah Konchesky

Hi we are moving to Melbourne shortly, we have two children 8 and 6yrs old. They currently attend private education here in the UK and are looking for very good schools in the Mornington/Frankston area? They dont need to be independent as we have heard the schools in Oz are much better than here in England!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

sarah

:confused::wacko::confused:

Hi we are moving to Melbourne shortly, we have two children 8 and 6yrs old. They currently attend private education here in the UK and are looking for very good schools in the Mornington/Frankston area? They dont need to be independent as we have heard the schools in Oz are much better than here in England!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

sarah

:confused::wacko::confused:

I work in one and compared to the UK your last quote is not entirely true :frown:

IMHO I will just say that there are children who could do better academically in both the school i work at and my daughters and they are not supported to move on further than the class at all. This is what i have found.

You should check out both public and private before deciding. There are 2 private in Mt Eliza - The Peninsula School and Toorak although i am not sure Toorak go from Primary. There are waiting lists for Peninsula. A lot of families choose catholic and christian schools here too they are fee paying but not as expensive as private.

Any other questions just ask and we will see what we can do :smile:

Private Schools

Woodleigh very well thought of

Peninsula

Toorak

Balcombe Grammar

Church related

Padua Catholic high school

St Johns in Frankston catholic high school

Flinders Christian Collegem Tyabb and Carrum prmary and high

Bayside Christian School not sure if primary but high

State

Elizabeth Murdoch - Langwarrin high school

Karingal high school Frankston

Mount Erin high school Frankston

Frankston High School

Mount Eliza High

Mornington High

Westernport Secondary Hastings

Somerville Secondary Somerville

Primary there are many many state and catholic primary schools.

If children are academic and intend to go to university then private probably lean more to these pursuits, if children are not academic the state system provides two streams, academic and vocationary which leads into apprenticeships etc.

I sent mine to private school have friends who sent their children to state and all have turned out fine and in fact the state ones may have done a little better as if they are bright they get on at uni better as they are not spoon fed like the private schools tend to do.

Really depends on the child and do we not all have geniuses.

Sad but just being clever does not make for success, nouse comes into it.

Guest Sarah Konchesky

Thanks for all the advice, this is one thing that is making the move more stressful and scary. The kids are in a lovely little private school here with no more than 150 kids in the whole school (2 1/2 yrs old to 11 years old) so taking them out is a big thing. I have heard both good and bad things about schools in Oz so wanted to be open minded. The other thing is what areas are nice to bring kids up, we currently live in a small village, with an extremley low crime rate and very good schools, we are about a 30 min drive to the town where there is bowling, cinema, shopping malls etc so we have the best of both worlds.

We would like a similar setting out in Melbourne but on the other hand would like to be quite near the beach as we dont have that option here (our nearest beach is about a 2 hour drive!!). Could anyone suggest anything/anywhere, im getting more and more confused about it all!!!!!

Thanks

Sarah:cry:

Hi Sarah,

It must be very confusing for you but also very exciting. We have been in Mount Martha for about 18 months now and it truely is a lovely part of Victoria. Mornington is a little bit more 'happening' with a vast arrary of coffee shops/shops. there is a football oval and tennis courts and a basketball stadium and a couple of swimming pools. there are lots of clubs you can get involved in, especially the children. Mount Martha is a little quieter...it has a lovely little village right opposite the beautiful beach and yaught club but can be a little isolated if you don't drive. The beaches all along the peninsula coastline are spectacular and all are easily accessible...you could choose a different beach each time you go if you wanted to. There are also some lovely walks along the coastline. As for schools...I work as a casual relief teacher so get to go in a lot of schools. In my opinion, all the schools are friendly but very different. It all depends on what you are looking for. Have a look at their websites for information about their curriculum. Remember that you have to pay for schooling even if it is a state school. Hope this helps. good luck. PM me if I can be of any more help.

Sally

The only smallish villages on the Peninsula are on the Westernport side and tend to be further from the city although there is a train that goes to Bittern. Balnarring is the nearest village similar to what you describe and it has a lovely primary school which is very involved in the wetlands around there and very popular. However if your husband is to work in Melbourne would be too far to travel in my opinion.

Melbourne tends to sprawl and suburbs run into one another, Mornington and Mount Martha run into one another and its acres and acres of housing so not the village feel to it. The beach side of the Nepean Highway tends to be older and more established so closer to the beaches and more of a cosy feel to it.

I suggest you check out google and have a look around the area and streets to give you an idea.

Mount Eliza is a nice Village which is closer in and people do commute to the city from there.

• 3 weeks later...

hello, i to will be moving soon with my two small children 4 and 7 around mornington/ frankston, i found this post quit helpfull, because i to have been wondering about the school over there. Any way hope every thing works out okay. thanks for the post..

Guest Sarah Konchesky

Hi there when are you moving? Are you excited - have you got everything underway!!!

PM me if you want a chat about things?

Sarah

Guest juliemtaylor
hello, i to will be moving soon with my two small children 4 and 7 around mornington/ frankston, i found this post quit helpfull, because i to have been wondering about the school over there. Any way hope every thing works out okay. thanks for the post..

You'll love it here and there are so many good schools and activities for your kids here.

I've been here only 4 months and loving it !!

Julie x

Hi I will be along that way too in 7 weeks time. Slowly getting organised! So much to do.

Have you found the site 'my school' sorry don't know the exact name but try typing in 'my school au' and it will come up. It allows you to compare most of the schools in au and give infor on how many children go onto uni, work etc. A handy starting point! Having said that, I wouldn't make any hard and fast judgements about a school until i got there. Hope this helps you sarah

Hi there when are you moving? Are you excited - have you got everything underway!!!

PM me if you want a chat about things?

Sarah

hello, not going for awhile getting our TRA shorted at the moment, with an agent. things look good and fingers crossed we should be out there begining of next year. we have friends that live in mornington, so will be living near them to start with. very excited!! and you??

(ps: silly question but what is a PM and how do i send one???)

hello, not going for awhile getting our TRA shorted at the moment, with an agent. things look good and fingers crossed we should be out there begining of next year. we have friends that live in mornington, so will be living near them to start with. very excited!! and you??

(ps: silly question but what is a PM and how do i send one???)

Hi I believe it stands for Personal Message. If you click on your own avatar on the left (ie I would click on Supa) you can select to send a message to. When you are in there you can change the recipient. There is a drop down box.

• 1 year later...
Guest ollie

Dont forget to also now look at Cornish College (http://www.cornishcollege.org) in Bangholme - just out of Frankston. This is the new school in this area, purchased by the parents off St Leonard's College (eg equivalent of say Harrow for UK readers) recently, has great academic results, is set on 100 acres of wonderful parkland, and its fees are about 30% less than Tier 1 schools in this area....My 3 kids go here...so admittedly I could be a bit biased!!

Good luck with the school you choose.

• 4 years later...
Hi Sally, do you know anything or have any advice on deciding between Mt eliza north primary and red hill consolidated primary?

This post is a very old from 2011 so suggest you put one up in the Life in Victoria forum you may get more response there.

As far as the two schools you mention are concerned, they are a long way apart, not anywhere near one another. It will depend where you live which primary school is suitable if you do not want a long drive.

This post is a very old from 2011 so suggest you put one up in the Life in Victoria forum you may get more response there.

As far as the two schools you mention are concerned, they are a long way apart, not anywhere near one another. It will depend where you live which primary school is suitable if you do not want a long drive.

Hi there, as Petals says they are very far apart. I have friends with children at both schools and friends that work at Red Hill. Both are great schools. Red hill is more rural. It really will depend on where you are living. You don't want a school where all your children's friends live far away ( well, its a consideration anyway). Where are you?

Cheers Sally

Thank you for your reply...we are currently living overseas and moving to the Peninsula. We love the more rural areas that would take us to Red Hill Consolidated School area but if my husband has to travel into the City for a job then the northern part will be a better location. We are impressed with Mt Eliza North school from what we see online so can't decide between that and RHCS which will dicate where we live so just wondered if you have any thoughts or advice on the schools/area etc

Thank you for your reply...we are currently living overseas and moving to the Peninsula. We love the more rural areas that would take us to Red Hill Consolidated School area but if my husband has to travel into the City for a job then the northern part will be a better location. We are impressed with Mt Eliza North school from what we see online so can't decide between that and RHCS which will dicate where we live so just wondered if you have any thoughts or advice on the schools/area etc

How exciting...you will love it here! I work at Mount Martha Primary. It is another option for you. Have a look at the website. We are a big school set in beautiful grounds - semi rural I would say and near the beach. We have a beach program in our curriculum for years 3-6 where we utilise this beautiful resource right on our doorstep! We live in mount martha and hubby drives to the city. Would add about 10- 15mins on the journey from Mount Eliza I guess. When are you planning on coming over?

• 2 years later...

Peninsula Grammar in Mt Eliza is an excellent school with great staff and high achieving students. The facilities are also very modern and the campus is very expansive. Peninsula Grammar is one of the top 50 private schools in Melbourne for VCE performance and was ranked 42nd in the state. The primary school is also one of the highest performing in Mt Eliza.

Toorak College is one of the top 50 schools in Melbourne for VCE and academic performance. The school was even ranked 30th in the state for VCE performance since 2014. The school is renowned for excellence in teaching and the students are very high achievers. Toorak College also has modern facilities with the new Science and Technology Centre coming in 2018. The primary school is also ranked 25th in Melbourne being the most highly ranked school in Mt Eliza.

Nearby Padua on the border of the suburb is also the 6th largest school in Victoria with 3 campuses across the peninsula. Good teachers with modern facilities and expansion. Padua College has a newly built 2018 Year 10-12 Learning Centre. The school has also undergone extensive renovation in the past year. A Performing Arts Centre, dedicated STEAM Learning Centre and an additional Year 10-12 Learning Centre are also coming soon.

Mt Eliza Primary School is also a great school with caring teachers and friendly students. The school has also been recently renovated with an additional $2,940,000 funding for modern school buildings to be built by early 2019. The tree-lined campus is also really beautiful! Mt Eliza Primary School is definitely up there with nearby Peninsula Grammar and Toorak College.

Mt Eliza north primary also has many amenities with a large campus in the Woodlands area. 

Kunyung Primary School is also particularly popular with a bay-view and beach frontage on one of the most popular streets in Australia. Kim Jackson is excellent and they are a model school for the IB program, known internationally which is very impressive. Similarly, St Thomas More Primary has an amazing view of the bay and city skyline along with the Dandenong ranges. The school is great with a new early learning centre on the campus. Students are friendly and teaches are great.

Mornington Primary School is also newly built and expanded with modern facilities including a multipurpose hall/gym and arts centre.  new atrium and library connecting all wings of the new building. The new buildings also include various indoor and outdoor learning spaces (outdoor including shade sails and large decks). New music rooms, arts centre and canteen. 

Balcombe Grammar School is the newest school in the area with great teaches and really modern facilities. The new senior centre is also due for completion in 2019. 

There really are awesome schools on the Mornington Peninsula with some serious growth.

1548438681_ScreenShot2018-12-10at4_31_33am.thumb.png.0d4294b3ff15e9be9cbf6bb1cdcb6e29.png