Private insurance, medicare and WAFA gitters

AdamH

Hi all,

Can anybody please put me straight on a couple of areas of concern, I am heading out to Oz on a 457 visa on the 15th of June and would really appreciate some help.

For the 457 application I had to take out a policy with IMAN insurance to satisfy the visa requirements. I was told by an agent that once I arrived in Oz I could cancel the IMAN policy and subscribe to Medicare. Does anyone have any experience of this that could offer any advice? IMAN are chasing me for a start date for my policy, but if medicare is enough wouldn't that be the better option??? Also is there a specific order things have to be done in?

Also someone I met in Perth during my last visit told me about the working away from home allowance, and I wondered what was involved in applying for that from the employers point of view and the employees? Has anyone here gone for the WAFA?

Thanks, Adam :spinny:

Guest Chief

Hi Adam

Sorry I can't answer this as it is pretty much the same question I have ...

I have been asked to apply online for my 457 VISA and told I have to get Private Health Insurance first ...

I am now bogged down in paperwork and trying to decide on the best cover policy and company for me ... I might just go with the biggest company and the most comprehensive cover ... what the hell !

Any suggestions anyone ?

Then I have to get a medical ?

I'm not given a lot of clear info on how to go about this or where ... just left in the air again ... :arghh:

Hi Adam

Sorry I can't answer this as it is pretty much the same question I have ...

I have been asked to apply online for my 457 VISA and told I have to get Private Health Insurance first ...

I am now bogged down in paperwork and trying to decide on the best cover policy and company for me ... I might just go with the biggest company and the most comprehensive cover ... what the hell !

Any suggestions anyone ?

Then I have to get a medical ?

I'm not given a lot of clear info on how to go about this or where ... just left in the air again ... :arghh:

If you are a pom ,british go to austhealth get the 457 bridging insurance 50 bucks i think ,this covers while you go to the medicare office when you get here if you are not going to qland you will need ambulance cover bout 100 bucks a year for a family to cover the necessity of an emergency amulance ( 700 bucks a trip if you dont have any, ) the Lafha ,living away from home allowance is a tax break (your employer has to offer this) does not cost them anything but gives you a tax , you pay your rent or part of it an allowance for food etc out of your salary before tax ,you are then taxed on the remainder . Its ok but you cant go under the 457 pay threshhold

Guest Sunshine on Leith
Hi all,

Can anybody please put me straight on a couple of areas of concern, I am heading out to Oz on a 457 visa on the 15th of June and would really appreciate some help.

For the 457 application I had to take out a policy with IMAN insurance to satisfy the visa requirements. I was told by an agent that once I arrived in Oz I could cancel the IMAN policy and subscribe to Medicare. Does anyone have any experience of this that could offer any advice? IMAN are chasing me for a start date for my policy, but if medicare is enough wouldn't that be the better option??? Also is there a specific order things have to be done in?

Also someone I met in Perth during my last visit told me about the working away from home allowance, and I wondered what was involved in applying for that from the employers point of view and the employees? Has anyone here gone for the WAFA?

Thanks, Adam :spinny:

Hi

Firstly I have just completed the LAFHA which was pretty pain free, I filled in the application on the ATO site, they got back in touch after 2 days, I told my company about this and they were only to happy to help as they seen it as an extra insentive which costs them nothing, the only change for them was a small change in admin, basically its saves you paying more tax, so its well worth doing.

Secondly, today i went to visit a medicare centre, the whole process took 20mins, all i went in with was a application form and my passports, job done, it was so easy, I then cancelled my bupa cover which was costing me 170 per month, it all helps when you are just starting out, the same thing happens when the Ozzies arrive in the UK so its not like we are sponging of the goverment.

J

Guest brillo

I'm a 52 year old bricklayer trying to get to live in Oz. I'm going to need health insurance in order to get a 457 visa. Does anyone know if it's better to apply for insurance in England or Oz. I'm very new at using a computer so finding information seems to take me for ever. I would guess insurance for someone of my age would be fairly expensive wouldn't it. Can anyone help.

Guest shy_mocha

Hi Guys,

In order for you to apply for a 457 you have to have proof that you have sufficient medical insurance. There are a few companies online that provide what is known as interim health insurance. You pay around $50 and they will provide a letter and certificate stating that you are covered until you arrive in Australia. You will not e granted a 457 visa unless you have this interim or complete health insurance cover. I used Iman and they were great. My 457 took approx 5 months and every month they emailed me and reminded me to either extend my interim insurance or take out their annual policy. They were more than happy to extend my interim for the months I was waiting to go to Aus.

When you arrive in Aus' you can either continue with the insurance (price will go up to an annual fee) OR you can sign up with Medicare (depends on your country of residence, UK are allowed) and cancel your interim health insurance. I will be signing up with Medicare BUT my problem is I don't know if I should aslo take out private insurance as well....This is a tricky one.

Hope this helps/clarifies,

:o)

Guest brillo

Thank you for that info Shy mocha i very rarely get anyone answering my questions. Any help is appreciated.

Archived