TAFE - Organisations - Anyone working for one?

Guest kamlak

Guest kamlak

Hi

Is there anyone who has moved to OZ to join one of the TAFE - Training and Further Education establishments?

I am having conversations with one and they are interested in looking at sponsorship in the near future

Just wondering what they were like as employers, conditions . levels of pay etc

Many Thanks for any feedback

KamlaK:notworthy:

Hi Kamlak,

I have worked for in the past and indirectly still do, acting as representative for Australian TAFE in Europe.

What type of position? Which state? Are they offering permanent tenure or a temporary contract?

TAFE is within the state sector but big changes happening in education in Australia...TAFE are coming under increased pressure to fill skills gap in Oz, and private providers moving onto their territory.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.

Guest kamlak

Hi Connaust

Many thanks for the reply - the TAFE I am talking to is in Victoria - Warrnambool. Currently the role appears to be a permanent one looking at setting up a new programme of courses and commercial work - starting within Victoria but could develop wider if we get it right

I am visiting them in August to have a face to face meeting and hopefully discuss terms etc

I agree there appears to be increased pressure for them to get skills into their organisations and transfer this through their education

What are they like to work for?, over the phone this team sounded very professional and really wanting to make this work for both parties

Would you join them as a permanent role ?- would appreciate your thoughts either way

Lastly, is there any particular questions you feel I should ask

Many thanks for your time

Kamlak

Hello there,

FIne, first Warnambool is a very nice regional city on the coast...when you visit Melbourne you can take the Great Ocean Road :)

TAFEs in Victoria are autonomous so you deal more thorugh your own TAFE re. direct employment etc. but under standard pay award. Sure they are fine to work for and I assume much of the management would be boomers i.e. 45 years >

Lot of pressure on, or opportunities for, TAFE to do more skills training etc. in business and the community (all awards come under The Australian Qualifications Framework - Qualifications & Education, Training and Career Pathways ) and so potential clients and TAFEs are probably seeking people with more real world skills (people I deal with from Melbourne TAFEs, i.e. international personnel have never worked outside of the state education sector :()

The VET/TAFE sector is booming and should even more so in future, so if you get a permanent offer, and you like Warnambool go for it. That would lead on to other opportunities (Melbourne TAFEs or interstate), e.g. offshore TAFE programmes that are running e.g. China, Indonesia etc., and natural wastage as boomers retire etc.

Any more questions just ask.

Cheers Andrew

Guest kamlak

Hi Andrew

Your feedback suits my current view - potential is good with lots of interest from people with "real world skills and experience"

Had my second call with them today, they offered permanent role and good salary with plenty of opportunties to develop my own network and develop their portfolio

Warrnambool looks a good place to live, if visit and interview goes well this could be the one

KamlaK

Archived