Car insurance

Guest Rbecca

Guest Rbecca

Can anyone tell me the procedure for insuring a car in Oz? I want to buy new and pick up as soon as possible before getting somewhere to rent as I'll be staying with relatives for a week or two whilst finding somewhere to live. Will I need my 'own' address and an Australian drivers licence? Has anybody any recommendations for insurers?

Rebecca

(Sorry, posted this somewhere else as well!)

Guest Arran&Bev

hi there

Really easy and straight forward you can phone them up ,they will most likly let you do this while in the showroom and as long as you give them an address where they can send the policy to you will be fine we were staying in short term accom when we got ours sorted .You also dont have to pay upto 14days after starting the policy.RACQ here in brisbane were very good for us but shop around .

Oh yeah and dont trust the sale guys to much espesialy if its 2nd hand ,and get a independant inspection done that you book and pay for.

good luck Arran:spinny:

Guest Rbecca

Thanks Arran,

I emailed the dealer near where I'll be going and asked him about insurance and I happened to mention how often dealers in the UK have free insurance for a year on a new car and amazingly, he said there was such an offer on at the moment! He also mentioned that he has had a few new migrants from the UK say that premiums are much cheaper than the UK so that's good news.

Rebecca

Guest Abi&Dan

They are - but it can also be bad - they don't put cars in groups like the UK - so you can get a newly passed 17 yo who can afford to drive a 3l monster truck!!! Their teenage driver death tolls are pretty high I've read.

Guest tinbasher

One word of advice, bring with you documents that back up your past car insurance history, especially if you have a high no-claims bonus.

Mrs TinB

Archived