Citizenship querie

Guest Tim M

Guest Tim M

Hi,

In 1980 when I was 10yrs old my Mum, Dad, Sister and I emigrated to Oz. My Dad was in the RAN, so when Mum, Sis and me moved back to the UK (in 1983) he stayed in Oz to finish his contract. Life moved on and over the years Mum and Sis moved back out to be with Dad. Unfortunately, after many moves and many years I lost contact with my family in Oz.

I now have a son of my own and wish to look into the possibilities of visiting and/or moving back to Oz. This is my first port o' call to try and find out who and what to ask to get the ball rolling. Below is a couple of questions that I'm hoping one of you out there may be able to shed light on. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can spare some time to help.

-Does anyone know if I would still hold citizenship (keeping in mind I haven't lived in Oz for 27yrs) ?

-Also, would the fact that my parents and sis have been resident in Oz for nigh on 30yrs help, i.e. decendancy?

Guest Tim M
Do you know if you were ever granted Australian Citizenship? We have friends whose mum has lived her most of her life, she is able to vote but is not a citizen as she never took out Australian Citizenship. Also someone at work moved here aged 5 but again never took Citizenship

Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen

Hi Ali,

I'm pretty sure that we all had citizenship. I seem to remember going to Australia House in London prior to our departure and I think we got 'sworn in'. Or this may have been on our arrival in Oz. Either way I'm fairly sure that I had citizenship, although I don't know if there is a 'timed-out' period. Would I have to contact Australia House directly to discern my citizenship status, or is there an on-line method?

Guest proud2beaussie

Unless you had citizenship by descent I would doubt that you would have been granted citizenship without having spent an eligibility period in Australia,you may have been granted permanent residency though, I suggest you check out Australian Citizenship – Proof of your citizenship ,you will need documents like birth certificates,passports etc.

Guest Tim M

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your reply. I have no paperwork to support my living in Oz back then and was born in the UK as were my parents. I don't ever remember revoking my Aussie citizenship, but I'm becoming aware of the 2002 rule which may not help matters. What I thought to be a simple process appears to be a bit more complicated. However, I shall endeavour.

Cheers,

Tim

Archived