Asking the salary

k8bug79

Hi, we are looking at applying for jobs from the UK. Quite a lot of jobs have no salary specified in the advert. Would it be frowned upon to send an email asking for details of the job including the salary? Obviously we don't want to apply for jobs that aren't going to pay enough but it seems that if they don't put the salary there si a reason why they haven't????????

Whats your expereinces been:notworthy:

Guest sarahbunny

Hey there,

You could send them a e-mail BEFORE you submit a application, and ask the salary or pay rates.

But be aware most jobs advertised online don't list a wage, as there can be differnt rates of pay for differnt candidates. Some of these factors depend on your age, skills, qualifications, history of longevity of employment. - So as you can see there are a few factors to consider, its not just a automatic set pay for everyone, hence why it isnt listed. But many potential employers will be more then happy to give you a ball park figure ( and its usually discussed in the interview stage )

Also you might find it a little difficult getting any response/feedback applying from overseas, getting short listed and having face to face interviews obviously makes it difficult for potential employers to organise when they require - and although you maybe perfect for the position they may not want to go to that effort and invest time into it. Sorry i just wanted to make you aware and be prepared.

Good luck on your job hunting efforts.

If you go the employment websites like Seek they have lists of salaries for job types and experience. Government jobs and ones on awards are pretty fixed, otherwise you can negotiate. Sad but true, you may have to settle for a slightly lower salary than an equivilent native if you don't have Australian experience, just to get a foot in the door. After a year or two you can then get parity.

I've got low expectations from job agencies, but if you can find one that actually tries to get you work then they negotiate on your behalf as they get paid a proportion of your salary, so it's in their interest to get the highest possible for you.

Off to look at Seek now. We pretty much know what hubbies wage could be (he's a chef) mine is more hit and miss as mainly I work in theatre but due to jobs not coming up all that often I work anwhere really mainly hotels. Hoping that hubby being an australian citizen by descent may mean he is treated a little more favourably but think I am only dreaming.

Depends on the organisation, they might wait and see what the candidates are like, then decide the salary. The 3 companies I know well here do not have salary banding, stuff that is commonplace in UK HR. So, they tend to offer what they feel the candidate is worth once they have appointed. Local Govt, Universities etc. do and you will see the wage advertised.

Archived