Australia - expensive??!

Guest Johnnydt

Guest siamsusie
Yes, but it aint coral trout, or barra, or red emperor...:tongue:

Cheers. Bobj.

It has been for Mr S's 22 years in WA "Wise One"... I love the Mangrove Jack and love fishing for them as well.... granted our fishing will be so different in Tasmania but I am partial to Flathead:laugh:I have my last fishing days in WA in a few weeks, going back over to Broome, 80 mile etc, so hopefully will have a few fish to show you... now put your tongue away before you swallow some of those humidity flies:tongue:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has been for Mr S's 22 years in WA "Wise One"... I love the Mangrove Jack and love fishing for them as well.... granted our fishing will be so different in Tasmania but I am partial to Flathead:laugh:I have my last fishing days in WA in a few weeks, going back over to Broome, 80 mile etc, so hopefully will have a few fish to show you... now put your tongue away before you swallow some of those humidity flies:tongue:

80 Mile Beach...was there in 1964 and NO coneniences...NONE!!! It was the edge of the desert, pure and simple. But stunning; all that red pindan sand!!!:laugh:

Flathead??? Lift your tastebuds a bit, Missy...Jack are good.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
80 Mile Beach...was there in 1964 and NO coneniences...NONE!!! It was the edge of the desert, pure and simple. But stunning; all that red pindan sand!!!

Flathead??? Lift your tastebuds a bit, Missy...Jack are good.

Cheers, Bobj.

Princess%20web.JPG

:notworthy:Being a proper lady I give in....but I will be back:laugh:

Guest chris955

The problem with these discussions are that you have 2 distinct camps and neither will give an inch. The ONLY way to compare if that is what you want to do is to look at actual prices for things in both countries and then look at wages that the average person earns. Half the people will tell you that it is expensive here and the other half will tell you they can feed a family of 6 on $7.50 a week.

Going purely on the facts and by that I mean actual figures available on the net it IS expensive here compared to even 3 or 4 years ago and it is expensive compared to the UK for many things. It has nothing to do with if you can walk to the beach or go for a swim in the backyard. The cold hard facts are that many people are struggling with the costs.

The problem with these discussions are that you have 2 distinct camps and neither will give an inch. The ONLY way to compare if that is what you want to do is to look at actual prices for things in both countries and then look at wages that the average person earns. Half the people will tell you that it is expensive here and the other half will tell you they can feed a family of 6 on $7.50 a week.

Going purely on the facts and by that I mean actual figures available on the net it IS expensive here compared to even 3 or 4 years ago and it is expensive compared to the UK for many things. It has nothing to do with if you can walk to the beach or go for a swim in the backyard. The cold hard facts are that many people are struggling with the costs.

Well said, that man...But the cost of fishing is cheaper in Qld...:tongue::wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest chris955

Fishing....that's that thing when you sit by the water trying to catch fish when they sell perfectly good ones in shops :wink:

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Fishing....that's that thing when you sit by the water trying to catch fish when they sell perfectly good ones in shops :wink:

Ye.........but why would you want to buy it in the shops when its SOOOOOOOOOOO expensive eh:biggrin:

:biggrin:Adeladie £2.76 GBP price of a pint in oz ,personally i drink schooners 2/3rds of a pint if you want to drink pints you,ll be charged for it,and the publican will laugh all the

Adelaide £2.57 GBP way to the bank

Alice Springs £1.43 GBP

All Over £2.75 GBP

Armidale £1.5 GBP

Ballarat £2.41 GBP

Batemans Bay,NSW £2.36 GBP

Belfast £2.87 GBP

Bendigo £1.86 GBP

Brisbane £2.94 GBP

Bundoora £1.72 GBP

Canberra £4.31 GBP

Cork £3.31 GBP

Cottesloe Perth WA £2.23 GBP

Darwin £2.51 GBP

Dubbo £2.3 GBP

Geelong £3.53 GBP

Gold Coast £3.92 GBP

Goulburn £2 GBP

Hervey Bay £2.7 GBP

Hornsby £2.79 GBP

JOONDALUP,WA £4.02 GBP

Katoomba £2.1 GBP

London £3 GBP

Mandurah £3.75 GBP

Martin Place Bar - Sydney £3.86 GBP

Melbourne £3.8 GBP

Newcastle £2.23 GBP

Newman, WA £3.15 GBP

North Sydney £4.05 GBP

Parramatta £2.51 GBP

Parth £5.39 GBP

Perth £4.03 GBP

Port Augusta £2.04 GBP

Sydney £2.76 GBP

Walgett £1.66 GBP

William Creek £2.76 GBP

Wollongong £1.67 GBP

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I don't recall saying fish was expensive. :wink:

No, but some people on here think that EVERYTHING is expensive in Oz. :biggrin::yes:

Princess%20web.JPG

:notworthy:Being a proper lady I give in....but I will be back:laugh:

My, haven't you got a short body???

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Imust not digress

PS. Imust not digress

PS. Imust not digress

Guest SO,DIZZY
:biggrin:Adeladie £2.76 GBP price of a pint in oz ,personally i drink schooners 2/3rds of a pint if you want to drink pints you,ll be charged for it,and the publican will laugh all the

Adelaide £2.57 GBP way to the bank

Alice Springs £1.43 GBP

All Over £2.75 GBP

Armidale £1.5 GBP

Ballarat £2.41 GBP

Batemans Bay,NSW £2.36 GBP

Belfast £2.87 GBP

Bendigo £1.86 GBP

Brisbane £2.94 GBP

Bundoora £1.72 GBP

Canberra £4.31 GBP

Cork £3.31 GBP

Cottesloe Perth WA £2.23 GBP

Darwin £2.51 GBP

Dubbo £2.3 GBP

Geelong £3.53 GBP

Gold Coast £3.92 GBP

Goulburn £2 GBP

Hervey Bay £2.7 GBP

Hornsby £2.79 GBP

JOONDALUP,WA £4.02 GBP

Katoomba £2.1 GBP

London £3 GBP

Mandurah £3.75 GBP

Martin Place Bar - Sydney £3.86 GBP

Melbourne £3.8 GBP

Newcastle £2.23 GBP

Newman, WA £3.15 GBP

North Sydney £4.05 GBP

Parramatta £2.51 GBP

Parth £5.39 GBP

Perth £4.03 GBP

Port Augusta £2.04 GBP

Sydney £2.76 GBP

Walgett £1.66 GBP

William Creek £2.76 GBP

Wollongong £1.67 GBP

What year were these prices quoted .

i was out two weeks ago and didnt pay less than 8 bucks a drink.... oh and 10 dollers on the Bacardi breezers I had to keep cheecking my glass to see if it was champaigne I was buying..

Guest chris955

The problem with that site is they seem to have used a rather out of date exchange rate and also according to some of the quotes for each area they aren't necessarily referring to pints.

'Beer in nearly every bar is about $6.50 for a schooner, which is smaller than a pint. So really it's about $7 for an actual pint. So with the exchange rate that makes it 4.28 pounds a pint. Damn expensive I say. '

It is very easy to pay $8 here, can you imagine what people would say in the UK if the landlord asked for 5 quid for a pint ? :laugh:

yes in sterling on an english web page prices from all over the world for a pint from the cheapest to the dearest

5 dollars a schooner at aspley pub theres always some excuse such as the exchange rate is wrong ,if you wish to drink in pubs that sell pints in oz you will pay.the largest standard glass in oz is a schooner which actually comes from N.S.W,in qld the largest glass until recently was a pot 10ozs,11ozs before metrification,and thats because of the temp

Hi there,

My family and I are looking into the possibility of moving to Perth. We already have family over there, which obvioulsy makes the the task of moving somewhat less daunting.

We have been looking at the price of housing, cars, shopping etc. and have been amazed at how expensive everything seems. When you watch programmes about moving abroad on tv, Australia is always portrayed as being if anything a bit cheaper, but from what we've seen this doesn't appear to be the case. Unfortunately the exchange rate has gone the wrong way for you guys and it doesn't look like improving anytime soon.

Housing - You don't seem to get any bigger a house for your money. At best this is a draw. Again you have missed the boat a bit. Housing used to be great value but due to the mining boom and the influx of people we've never had a downturn. The prices are a bit stupid now for sure. On the upside, if you are prepared to work FIFO or even live up North of WA there is a LOT of money to be made.

Cars - very expensive (at least 25% more for used cars). They last a lot longer here though. So that is probably why they are a bit more expensive second hand. You can actually buy a decent second hand ford or holden V6 pretty cheap as there are a lot of them about. They are a big reliable car and some have been converted to run on gas, which is about a quarter of the price of petrol.

Shopping - food generally appears to be 25-50% more i.e. we looked at the cost of a few items (nappies, soft drinks, mince meat, cheese) and in every case the UK was significantly cheaper. Yes, probably food is a bit dearer but you find different shops have different specials on a daily basis. You just have to shop around a bit and look in the local papers when you are here. I still think it's pretty cheap to eat out.

We are visiting in just 2 weeks and needed a bottle steriliser to use in Australia (Tommee Tippee electric steriliser). It costs about £25 pound new in the Uk, but the cheapest we could find it in Australia was for $89 (most sites had it at abot $120). You might be able to get something similar but with a totally different name which you don't recognise. There are also a lot of second hand shops here. There doesn't seem to be such a stigma about buying 2nd hand. Maybe a baby bottle would be pushing it a bit though.

:shocked:

Is Australia really this expensive? We really like the idea of moving, but unfortunately might be priced out of living there. You would have to get a job and find out what salary you will get. There are so many things that are different here. Taxes may be higher but you don't spend so much on heating/cooling and warm clothes here. It's too hard to to work out which is the most expensive place.

:arghh:

Good luck

Guest chris955

I watched that Location location Down Under and they actually said that WA did go through a downturn much like the UK and the price of one house they were looking at was reduced by $30,000.

Also the old theory of cars lasting longer here is rather outdated as new cars don't rust regardless of where you drive them, it's no worse in the UK than it would be near the coast over here.

LPG is half the price not a quarter but still very worthwhile.

was out two weeks ago and didnt pay less than 8 bucks a drink.... oh and 10 dollers on the Bacardi breezers I had to keep cheecking my glass to see if it was champaigne I was buying..

if you read the prices you can pay that much in certain places,but not all,as it is in every country in the world,a little local knowledge is helpfull

Guest Ems76
without wishing to jump in to an argument, Ems, if you are not out here already, you need be careful assuming everything is cheaper.

Things that are more expensive include food, cars, meals out, drinks in bars, drinks from off-licenses (with the possible exception of low end wines), toiletries, medicines, healthcare, clothes, shoes, bedding and possibly cleaning products.

When I use the word expensive I mean a) they cost more than they did in the UK from a pound vs dollar perspective and b) they cost a larger percent of my annual salary than the equivalent product did in the UK. I am in quite a good position to compare apples with apples in this case as I do the same job for the same company over here as I did in the UK.

Houses may appear cheaper, but certainly, where I am living in Melbourne, a cheap house equals long commute. Aus towns are VERY spread out, much more so than the UK. In terms of comparables, I rented a town centre flat in Reading in the UK for about 725 pounds per month. Over here, I am paying $3K per month for 2 bed flat. OK, it is a bit bigger and has a balcony, but aside from that there is not much difference – in fact, the Reading flat was in a lot better condition....... Also, interest rates are a lot higher here than they are in the UK so if you buy a place your mortgage will cost you more than the equivalent mortgage would in the UK.

That said, I am not trying to put you off. Aus is a great place and you will love it here. Just do not assume it will be cheap J

I didnt say That I thought that Oz would be cheaper....... just that in my own comparisons ..... comparing OUR OWN living expenses things were either the same or cheaper... we do live in an expensive area of the South Coast which I am sure makes my living expenses different to a lot of the UK, I may STILL be in the uk but OH is an Aussie and my comparisons have been checked with friends and rellies who are living there.

My point was that we will not be moving there for a lower cost of living but for the outdoor lifestyle!:arghh:

Guest Ems76
if you have read the majority of the posts on this site you will see that you are in the minority.. we are an average household my husband is a brickie he is earning less here than the uk and our rent here is double what our morgage was back home also our bills are a lot more and our shopping has doubled... im not sure were you were shoping back home mabey marks & spencer but pound to doller we get a lot less here for our buck.. compareing asda to woolies.. do an online shop for both and see how that works out...

I think it really depends what you as a family buy, I copared Tesco and woolies and there was only a tiny difference, in fact woolie came out on top!:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

I think it really depends what you as a family buy, I copared Tesco and woolies and there was only a tiny difference, in fact woolie came out on top!:biggrin:

Its the old adage Ems isnt it, I shop around. I tend to avoid the biggies unless its coffee on specials then I buy 6 of....etc etc.. When I was in London last year, you need both the time and to be a mathematician to get the best deal out of 22 different tins of Tuna on the shelves:laugh: oh the wonders of fancy packaging and optical illusions.... swings and roundabouts. I much prefer subscribing to our local shops, better quality, better value and of course you develop not only a relationship with the guys but you keep the community going! Enjoy! Susie:wubclub:

Guest Ems76
Its the old adage Ems isnt it, I shop around. I tend to avoid the biggies unless its coffee on specials then I buy 6 of....etc etc.. When I was in London last year, you need both the time and to be a mathematician to get the best deal out of 22 different tins of Tuna on the shelves:laugh: oh the wonders of fancy packaging and optical illusions.... swings and roundabouts. I much prefer subscribing to our local shops, better quality, better value and of course you develop not only a relationship with the guys but you keep the community going! Enjoy! Susie:wubclub:

So true! Thanks Susie, smart shopping all the way!

Guest Doaldsons
hi,

we were in Oz in October 2009 and it didn't seem that cheap, but to be honest I think it's the exchange rate that's killed it, this time 18 months ago you were probably getting 30% more for you money, so until the value of the pound goes up the cost of living will seem more expensive.

good luck..

Barry & family ( Perth bound December 2010..)

Yes thats true and house prices where on average 17% cheaper thats almost 50% more money you need to buy a house.

Archived