Potential Employers??

JayBone

Bloody Hell!!!

My new CV is really doing the business!!

Ive just been contacted about a job working offshore in the Bass Strait.

Will need to find out the exact details but its certainly looking promising.

The employer has reviewed my CV from their database and contacted me directly, that was quick!

Could be in OZ sooner than i thought, no rush to sell my house in UK if i can get straight offshore in OZ.

Alot of companies I have applied for have fancy (USELESS ) online application forms from their website. I have found it so unprofessional. There is not a personal touch to it and you can;t write a fancy cover letter tailored to the job. The first pages are just drop down boxes. Are you a citizen? etc etc. You click no and automatically I got the feel it was filtered off to the trash bin. You had to lie on there just to get it read by somone human at the end if the day.

If you were lucky enough to recieve a reject letter, it will be from an automated system with no way to reply to anyone.

Can not report a glowing refernce about recruitment companies either I am afraid. They seem keen as mustard to get you in the door, after a couple of duff interviews they CBA anymore.

Bloody Hell!!!

My new CV is really doing the business!!

Ive just been contacted about a job working offshore in the Bass Strait.

Will need to find out the exact details but its certainly looking promising.

The employer has reviewed my CV from their database and contacted me directly, that was quick!

Could be in OZ sooner than i thought, no rush to sell my house in UK if i can get straight offshore in OZ.

Well done Jaybone and good luck, I think there was a post on here the other day about the Bass straight Inelecs being the highest paid tradies in OZ, so worth doing the six month course for that.

Though I am gutted that the electrical tech's can do it in 6 months and I would have to do a full new apprenticeship, instrument stuff must be real easy in OZ I hope I will find out soon.

If you come across any production op's jobs then let me know ;-))

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Karen Wardle

Hi

Having been born in Australia and having lived here all of my life I have submitted many applications over the years.

I can understand your frustration as I have had the same thing happen to me. One thing that I have noticed is that many companies that do their own hiring really do not have a clue. Recruitment is not their strength and when they need to find someone to hire they just muddle through.

So try not to take it personally, I know it is hard not to but I would suggest following up with a phone call where possible. Though that might be difficult depending on where you are located.

I agree with the comments made about recruitment agencies, I avoid them like the plague.

For the people already in Australia one thing that does work is getting many copies of your resume together with a well targeted cover letter and go knocking on doors of the companies that interest you.

Myself and my partner have both done this any time that we have been out of work and the results where unbelievable. I once knocked on 60 doors and received 8 job offers and a further 20 calls from employers who wanted to get me in for a chat. Only one of these companies had actually advertised a vacancy. My partner knocked on 6 and was offered 3.

I don't share these figures to brag but to offer an option to some reading this that they may not have previously considered.

Being based in Oz with small business and recruitment experience I am happy to answer any questions and help where I can :)

Best of luck

Karen (Wardle)

Archived