Advice on Murray Bridge Area

Guest steffijones

Guest steffijones

Hi

We are applying for a SS visa to SA and have been looking at the Murray Bridge area or maybe Gawler.

We have two boys aged 9 and 11 and so will need good schools for them, OH is a heavy diesel mechanic and I am a book keeper.

Boys are really into footie, biking and rock music ( one plays drums and one plays electric guitar ) so we would really like to be in an area no more than an hours drive from Adelaide.

We have now looked at so many suburbs that we are confused!!! Any help or advise would be very gratefully received!!

Stef :cute:

• 1 month later...
Guest just jo

Is there any particular reason for looking at these two areas? If I were to be honest I think I would be looking at Gawler rather than Murray Bridge. Both areas have their merits but Gawler is a better comute and I think a better prospect for jobs. If you are looking for that small town feel then you'll get that. Schools are good in Gawler and the excellent Trinity College is on the doorstep. Murray Bridge is a good 45 minute drive back to the City on the Freeway though Gawler is about the same to the City, probably 50 mins to an hour in traffic. I've been to both places and although i thought Murray Bridge was a good day out it didn't appeal as a place to live, however Gawler is one of my favourites and I could definately live up there. Perhaps you could give a rough idea of what you are looking for in an area and that would help with the info.

Cheers Jo

Guest steffijones

Thank you Jo. I think we have definately ruled out the Murray Bridge idea now anyway. Jobs for OH seem to be mainly focused around the North Adelaide suburbs so think we will concentrate on those areas, Schools also look great there.

Apart from Gawler we have now looked at Craigmore, Salisbury, Andrews Farm, Willaston and Paralowie.

I suppose what we want out of it is a nice area, not too built up, close to where the kids go to school ( have been looking at Golden Grove as well as Trinity ) within a reasonable distance to all amenities, and I eventually want a nice house with a pool which I think we will be able to afford in these areas.

At the moment we live in a rural part of Shropshire so city suburbia isn't really going to be for us I don't think, although to have it close at hand would be fab!!

Salisbury and areas around there are very much suburbia, no pretty countryside or anything like that, more poor/crimey boganish....my mum lives in Murray Bridge, I don't reccomend it!. Areas that are really pretty and near the city are Handorf, Striling and parts of Barossa Valley are worth looking at.

Guest Seabird50
Salisbury and areas around there are very much suburbia, no pretty countryside or anything like that, more poor/crimey boganish....my mum lives in Murray Bridge, I don't reccomend it!. Areas that are really pretty and near the city are Handorf, Striling and parts of Barossa Valley are worth looking at.

I'd agree that with young children avoiding Salisbury and Elizabeth is something you may consider. There are Brits that live in these areas and love them. But out toward that direction the countryside becomes very flat and quite barren and dominated by salt marsh. Great for a visit to the Mangrove swamps at St Kilda though. Athelstone may be worth a look. I have friends there and it is at the foot of the hills on the North of the city, not sure how affected it is by the general locality. About 20 minutes into the city at the edge of the suburban fringe. Hahndorf is lovely and Stirling - though you are in the fire zone there so you need to decide if this worries you. You have to keep your gutters clear at all times and not have any overhanging vegetation. No trees within a metre of your property, and all weeds etc under control during the summer to prevent grass fires. Certainly limits your barbecue use as you do have total fireban days in the hills.

That said there was a fire in Athelstone recently. You do have this trade-off in SA as it is so dry. There are fires on the go alot over the summer months - you see them over the hill when you are out and about. Luckily most are got under control before they do too much damage.

Good luck

Seabird

Guest YellowGecko

I lived in South Oz for 32 years and so know it very well.

I would avoid Murray Bridge actually. Outer suburbs of Adelaide are far nicer.

Eg Belair, Blackwood, Stirling (very pretty) and even Mount Barker.

Not a big fan of Murray Bridge, and not a great place to take a family.

Mount Gambier is lovely but 4 hours south of the capital.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mr mover
Hi

We are applying for a SS visa to SA and have been looking at the Murray Bridge area or maybe Gawler.

We have two boys aged 9 and 11 and so will need good schools for them, OH is a heavy diesel mechanic and I am a book keeper.

Boys are really into footie, biking and rock music ( one plays drums and one plays electric guitar ) so we would really like to be in an area no more than an hours drive from Adelaide.

We have now looked at so many suburbs that we are confused!!! Any help or advise would be very gratefully received!!

Personnaly i think Gawler is a great place to bring up kids, did,nt do my two any harm.

When the new northern expressway opens in August the commute into town will be cut by a tleast 15 mins , the railway has been closed for a number of months due too the track upgrade, which will speed the trains up when it opens.

As for your husband he could get a job at Komatsu at Regency Park , the leading hand their is Kevin he,s a pom , also a few Saffies work there.............:cool:mm

• 2 months later...
Guest oldham owl

Yes for sure rule out murray bridge. when i visited there i did not get a good impression.

it is like a place time forgot and adelaide come to think of it. shame really.

if you man works with heavy plant then for sure you need to be in the N/E suburbs as that is where a lot of the industrial areas are. gawler is a very nice place, picturesque old town australia but close to adelaide and only a short commute to the N/E suburbs. i would live in gawler my self but happy in the southern suburbs.

Archived