BA strike

mamba

I and my son are due to fly out to Melbourne on the 31st of March with Cathay Pacific.

We booked the flights with Cathay using the internet.

As we are flying Manchester/Heathrow/HK/Melbourne Cathay booked the Manchester to Heathrow leg with BA.

BA are saying that the second strike which ends on 30th March will probably result in problems on the 31st, our day of traval.

I have contacted Cathay who say this is a BA problem and anyway they are not on strike on the 31st so why am I bothering them at this time and BA on their website are saying that flights are as normal on that day

Do any of the traval gurus have feel for what I should be doing in these circumstances?

My fall back position is to traval by train to Heathrow from Manchester but it seems that I am piggy in the middle here?

Delaying the flight to another time is not an option as my wife has already taken up her work in Australia and we are only in the UK because my son has to complete his A levels. We simply cannot take him out of school during term time so it's Easter or not go at all.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mamba

If the whole lot is booked and issued on the CX website and you have one CX ticket number for all sectors then it should be their responsibility to sort if the BA flight is cancelled, however, it will only be when the BA flight is physically not operating that they will actually be bothered to look at it. Unfo this is the problem with codeshared flights, no one wants to take responsibility. Ahh the joys, and they say all this alliance thing makes for seamless travel???

If you booked the CX flight out of London and then seperatelly went on to the BA site and booked the domestic, then I am afraid you should start a plan B. Cathay will not be interested.

Also.... was going to mention that BA will have a policy which I see you have found on their website. Cathay WILL NOT over ride this or do anything over and above no matter how worried you may be, but anything BA say on there they should be able to do for you.... F.O.C. I know things would probably be alot easier if you were physically travelling on a strike day itself. You could ask them to book an earlier BA flight so giving you more time ( there would be a fee unless otherwise stated for that) but I can probably guarantee that BA have closed off all flights for sale that day for any additional bookings if they think there will be problems. I would suggest that you check in extra early and make sure they are aware that you have a connecting flight as you will probably be least likely to be kicked off over someone just travelling domestically.

Also worth noting that if you are a BA executive club member and they plan a strike that doesnt go ahead and you do not cancel your booking, you will get about 15,000 miles credited to your account. That has happened to me twice!!

Guest Squem

I would probably just drive down there and not run the risk of the flight being cancelled.

I know it's a long way to drive (must be about 4 hours) but at least you can feel confident you will catch your 2nd flight out of heathrow!

Emma

If the whole lot is booked and issued on the CX website and you have one CX ticket number for all sectors then it should be their responsibility to sort if the BA flight is cancelled, however, it will only be when the BA flight is physically not operating that they will actually be bothered to look at it. Unfo this is the problem with codeshared flights, no one wants to take responsibility. Ahh the joys, and they say all this alliance thing makes for seamless travel???

If you booked the CX flight out of London and then seperatelly went on to the BA site and booked the domestic, then I am afraid you should start a plan B. Cathay will not be interested.

Thanks your reply mrcatania

The whole thing was booked with Cathay and the only payment made was to Cathay. In addition there is only one E-ticket number.

The first flight, ie Manchester /Heathrow is on BA1389 which was booked by Cathay to connect with their flight to HK and ultimately Melbourne.

Curiosly enough when I return to the UK in two weeks time the Heathrow /Manchester leg is detailed as CX1231 operated by Brirish Airways

Mamba

Thanks your reply mrcatania

The whole thing was booked with Cathay and the only payment made was to Cathay. In addition there is only one E-ticket number.

The first flight, ie Manchester /Heathrow is on BA1389 which was booked by Cathay to connect with their flight to HK and ultimately Melbourne.

Curiosly enough when I return to the UK in two weeks time the Heathrow /Manchester leg is detailed as CX1231 operated by Brirish Airways

Mamba

That's a good thing. Ideally flights should be booked under the operating carriers flight number where possible when codeshare numbers exist, so it will help. Your CX number on the return is not booked incorrectly, but it does help in speeding changes etc up if you need to. As your flight is not actually on a cancelled day I would try and check in online on the BA website 24 hrs ahead - so long as you have the BA booking locator which will be different to the CX one. If you are all checked in then there really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That's a good thing. Ideally flights should be booked under the operating carriers flight number where possible when codeshare numbers exist, so it will help. Your CX number on the return is not booked incorrectly, but it does help in speeding changes etc up if you need to. As your flight is not actually on a cancelled day I would try and check in online on the BA website 24 hrs ahead - so long as you have the BA booking locator which will be different to the CX one. If you are all checked in then there really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thank you very much mrcatania for all the help.

All I need to do now is get the BA booking locator number from BA. I have a week so even I should be able to manage that. It may be that the strike will not take place and all will be well but it is beginning to look as if Walsh is on a bit of a mission, egged on by the Irish gob****e in charge of Ryanair, to settle the labour problems once and for all. Having said that it is difficult to sympathise with the cabin crew given that even they admit that they are the best paid in the UK business.

I hope Cathay serve very large G&Ts as I shall be needing a gallon of the stuff when we finally get on to one of theiir planes

Mamba

Archived