brickies in Melbourne

Hiya everyone

I'm new to this site but have read through lots of postings from members. Lots of interesting things found out but I still have lots of questions. I'm coming going over to Melbourne in November with my family (wife and 2 daughters). We're emigrating on my skill as a bricklayer. We're hopefully going to have a look around a few areas to live and see if the schools are any good and most of all see where the work for brickies is.

First question, where is the work? If its site work will it be pricework or daywork. What are the going rates.

second question, what is Point Cook like. We don't know whether to go East or West of Melbourne and there are so many houses to look at on the internet.

third question, do I need a blue card. The case worker who was helping us fill out the forms told me I wouldn't need one for Melbourne. Only needed in Brisbane or Queensland. Is this correct?

Any replies would be of great help.

Guest jonseywife

Hiya

Welcome to PIO.....

Have you tried looking at the Talkin about Victoria section on here?? Theres lots of info about the different areas in Melbourne.

Loads of people head for Point Cook/Geeelong/Sanctuary lakes..... we thought of there too, but decided on the Mornington peninsular - the other side of the bay!!! My hubby's a plumber so needs to be amoungst it all, and we have 3 teenagers & a younger one, so need to be near schools, college, cinema's, pubs, markets, shops, beach etc., and Mornington/Frankston South is more established and has it all.

Ive been told Point cook is a new area, lovely reasonably priced house (and building more too, so might be good for you workwise) we were tempted by the houses most of all , but apparently theres not much infastructure as yet, and you'll have to drive the kids everywhere... not much on your doorstep I dont think!!!

But it's all down to personal preference, hope I hav'nt confused you too much!!!!!

Good luck :yes:

thanks for that. We had originally looked at the peninsula but we thought it may be a bit too remote for building work as it seemed that most of the building work may be happening around Point Cook. Didn't fancy long drives to get to work.

Any ideas about this blue card. Do I need one?

Archived