Thumbs up for Emirates (just watch ur kgs!)

abz123

Big thumbs up for Emirates. :cool::cool:

Flew from Glasgow through Dubai to Perth 2 weeks ago and couldn't fault them at all.

Apparently the plane from Glasgow to Dubai only had 400 flying hours on it so very clean and state of the art in flight entertainment system on board even in "cattle class" which was not at all cramped (in comparison to a Thomas Cook holiday charter).

Only thing to watch (and it's probably the same for all airlines) is that they are VERY strict on baggage allowances. We just scraped all 3 of our cases in under the 30kg limits after juggling some of our hand baggage into the suitcases as again, they are very rigid in the allowances too.

Excess baggage is £70 per kg so be very aware of this. We just scraped in all up between hold and hand.

All airlines are pretty tight on baggage allowance, basically the more you bring, the more fuel they burn etc. Emirates is the best in economy offering 30kg, but 70 quid per kilo sounds a bit on the steep side for any extra. Maybe they are clawing back costs relating to the fact that they have already offered you 10 extra kilos free over the norm?? The average would be about 35 odd quid/kg.

Hi Kate

Perth was going great until this afternoon's thunder storm. Never seen hail stones like it!

Week old car has 4 fist size holes in the back window (UV film kept most of it together) and every panel is dented. Enthusiasm isn't so hopefully Allianz will be in touch shortly as I did my claim on-line.

Guess all the insurance companiess are going to be flat out with claims right now

Big thumbs up for Emirates. :cool::cool:

Flew from Glasgow through Dubai to Perth 2 weeks ago and couldn't fault them at all.

Apparently the plane from Glasgow to Dubai only had 400 flying hours on it so very clean and state of the art in flight entertainment system on board even in "cattle class" which was not at all cramped (in comparison to a Thomas Cook holiday charter).

Only thing to watch (and it's probably the same for all airlines) is that they are VERY strict on baggage allowances. We just scraped all 3 of our cases in under the 30kg limits after juggling some of our hand baggage into the suitcases as again, they are very rigid in the allowances too.

Excess baggage is £70 per kg so be very aware of this. We just scraped in all up between hold and hand.

We flew with them last year, Manchester to Dubai, then Singapore and eventually Brisbane. I don't know if it made any difference as our cases flew straight through and we didn't see them again until we reached Brisbane, but despite careful packing and weighing, all of our cases were over the 30kg limit each (the hand luggage was over the 7kg limit too!!!) We must have been very lucky, one of our cases was nearly 40kg and the lady at Manchester just stuck on a 'heavy load' sticker, but didn't charge us a penny!!!!!

Steph

xx

:yes:

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually Emirates current excess baggage rate is 35 GBP per kg so I don't know why you were told it was 70.

Emirates are no different really to other carriers,they all have baggage allowances that they tend to enforce fairly strictly but it does come down a certain extent to what sort of mood the check in agent is in on the day,one day someone may be 10kg's over and they will ignore it,the next day someone 2kg's over will be charged excess,there really is no rhyme or reason but the best policy is always to travel as lightly as possible .

Can I just say.............it is not down to the "Mood" of the Check In Agent!

They attend the flight briefing for that particular day and they are given a guideline on how much leeway they can/can't give, according to the loads of that aircraft, taking into account both passengers and cargo and calculating the weight/balance of the aircraft!

So therefore if you get to Check-In and they say strictly 30kg hold and 7kg cabin then that's because the flight is full...............if there's room for negotiation then bonus!

I don't agree. We were told that the flight we were on was quiet yet there was no leeway on allowances.

I guess that a not so full flight will burn close to the same fuel as a full one so fewer passengers = less revenue for that flight so tighter restrictions as the margins are lower??

Archived