Spouses Visa

k8bug79

Hi, I am waiting to put my spouses visa in and just wondered what I need to be concentrating on gathering to prove our relationship.

We have been together 5 years and married for 2, we have 2 children and a step daughter (my eldest daughter)

I have seen lots of posts about photographs and stat decs from friends and cards (christmas/ anniversary etc) Bills and bank statements. All of these are easy to come by but I wondered how in depth I need to go given we are married with children.

I guess the best advice would be provide everything as too much won't fail the visa, too little might. But I am quite a private person and the idea of sending all my personnal items to a stranger doesn't appeal, particuarly if it may not be necessary

Thanks

Hi,

The key elements you need to evidence are : shared financial committments, the "social context" of your relationship (that people know you and regard you as a couple) -eg invitations to weddings, your Form 888s from friends and family); your household (that you live together as man and wife) - eg. joint mail, or in your case having and caring for the children jointly; and the "nature of your committment" - again, in your case I think it will be fairly obvious that you have a long term committment because of the children.

I read somewhere (I think in the Partner Migration booklet) that they are only really looking for 1 item of evidence from each category, so I wouldn't worry about sending screeds of personal stuff if you'd really rather not.

Good luck and don't worry too much!

They could request further info, or sometimes they will hold a telephone interview, but I understand that's fairly unusual. You guys are married with kids, so I really don't think you will have an issue.

They would not refuse the visa completely unless they thought you had made the whole thing up, so please don't worry.

They could request further info, or sometimes they will hold a telephone interview, but I understand that's fairly unusual. You guys are married with kids, so I really don't think you will have an issue.

They would not refuse the visa completely unless they thought you had made the whole thing up, so please don't worry.

Great thanks :wacko:

I found the Partner Migration booklet really helpful in determining the kinds of evidence to provide so have a read here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

I didn't want them to have a reason to ask for more info so we simply gave them absolutely everything we got from that list and then some. Presentation also helps, what we did was divide our evidence up into the categories mentioned in the booklet (joint financial commitments, social context, long term commitment, nature of household) in our cover letter.

Archived