Questions about living in Darwin

Guest Lanabanana

Guest Lanabanana

My partner is English and moved to NZ 13 years ago. I am a kiwi. We moved with our now 10 year old daughter and our mutts to Sydney a year ago.

We don't mind Sydney but are thinking about living somewhere a little bit smaller (my whole countrys population lives in Sydney so it feels a wee bit busy).

We were looking at Perth but over the last few days Darwin has managed to creep its way into our sights. I have been doing a wee bit of research around jobs and the cost of rentals etc but just have a few questions so if anybody could help us out with some info that would be fantastic.

Are there many snakes, crocs, evil spiders in Darwin?

Can you swim at the beaches? And are beaches packed or can you find some relatively quiet ones?

What is the fishing like - surfcasting?

What are the schools like?

What are some good suburbs to live in?

Is there a hospital?

What is the cost for registration of dogs and is it lifetime rego?

How is the rental market in terms of competition? In Sydney it is a mission - all through agencies and competing with loads of other people at a 15 minute viewing. I notice a lot of rentals seem OK with pets which is nice - and lots have pools which is fantastic.

How hot does it get in the dry and the wet seasons?

Are there many things to do in/around Darwin?

And what I am most interested in is where have you lived before and how does Darwin compare, i.e. how much do you like it?

My partner is English and moved to NZ 13 years ago. I am a kiwi. We moved with our now 10 year old daughter and our mutts to Sydney a year ago.

We don't mind Sydney but are thinking about living somewhere a little bit smaller (my whole countrys population lives in Sydney so it feels a wee bit busy).

We were looking at Perth but over the last few days Darwin has managed to creep its way into our sights. I have been doing a wee bit of research around jobs and the cost of rentals etc but just have a few questions so if anybody could help us out with some info that would be fantastic.

Are there many snakes, crocs, evil spiders in Darwin?

Can you swim at the beaches? And are beaches packed or can you find some relatively quiet ones?

What is the fishing like - surfcasting?

What are the schools like?

What are some good suburbs to live in?

Is there a hospital?

What is the cost for registration of dogs and is it lifetime rego?

How is the rental market in terms of competition? In Sydney it is a mission - all through agencies and competing with loads of other people at a 15 minute viewing. I notice a lot of rentals seem OK with pets which is nice - and lots have pools which is fantastic.

How hot does it get in the dry and the wet seasons?

Are there many things to do in/around Darwin?

And what I am most interested in is where have you lived before and how does Darwin compare, i.e. how much do you like it?

G'day mate, The Darwin is an 'aquired taste'. It has all the trappings of any modern city. There are about 120,000 people there, so all mod cons for you, IF you can live with the tropical heat...In Summer- the Wet, it is from 25 C to 34 C and about 75-95% humidity (about 70inch rain fall); winter, the Dry, is a balmy 22 C to 33 C. with the occasional cool night (18 C)

Palmerston is a newish satellite city, some 20 km south; again, all mod cons. with fashionable suburbs (Durack, Driver etc)

The Darwin has a large defence force.

Aah, fishing...barramundi all over the place, spanish mackerel, jew, reefies, sailfish, marlin...

We used to go there for long weekends when we lived in Kununurra and our son and his family live there now. Yes, I could easily live there.

Would suggest that you 'google' the rental situation and any other pertinent facts.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived