Working holiday visa - Pr

trace1

I am hoping to to go out to Australia on a 457 visa and should get sponsorship from my employer without too much trouble..would then if all goes well like to apply for PR..am taking my two boys aged 12 and 14 which is not a prob as they will be on my visa but I have 3 boys over 18 and will have a step daughter who all want to come along. They can only get to Oz on a working holiday visa but will hopefully be able to stay for two years if they want to as this visa can be extended from one to two years..my prob is that if they want to stay in that time and try to get a 457 like myself how difficult will that be...at the min they are not really in skilled jobs but am hoping that once they get there they may be able to find an employer who will sponsor them to stay..if not then they will obv have to come back and train to do something here and apply for PR that way..has anyone been in this position? One of my boys is in the specials here in the UK and would love to join the police force but think its right that can only do that in Oz if you are a PR or a citizen..catch 22..

Trace1

Guest Gollywobbler
I am hoping to to go out to Australia on a 457 visa and should get sponsorship from my employer without too much trouble..would then if all goes well like to apply for PR..am taking my two boys aged 12 and 14 which is not a prob as they will be on my visa but I have 3 boys over 18 and will have a step daughter who all want to come along. They can only get to Oz on a working holiday visa but will hopefully be able to stay for two years if they want to as this visa can be extended from one to two years..my prob is that if they want to stay in that time and try to get a 457 like myself how difficult will that be...at the min they are not really in skilled jobs but am hoping that once they get there they may be able to find an employer who will sponsor them to stay..if not then they will obv have to come back and train to do something here and apply for PR that way..has anyone been in this position? One of my boys is in the specials here in the UK and would love to join the police force but think its right that can only do that in Oz if you are a PR or a citizen..catch 22..

Trace1

Hi Trace

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

What occupation are you in that makes you so sure that employer-sponsorship for PR will come your way? Are you a Nurse or a Teacher, because they are really the only two main groups who can rely on your proposition 100%?

Which State are you planning to head for? Your two boys aged 12 & 14 will automatically count as being your dependants because they are under 18. However the children of 457 visa holders are treated as International Students by some of the States in Oz, which means Parents pay a fortune to send their kids to the local State schools, whereas in another State the school fees might only be about $300 a year because in the other State there is no penalty payment on school fees for the child of a 457 visa holder.

The Working Holiday to Employer sponsorship to PR in Oz idea only works for a small handful of WH visa holders every year. "Not really skilled" means "Not skilled" as far as the Aussie Government is concerned and two years of temporary, casual jobs totalling a maximum of a possible 21 months in Oz does not provide any real or new skills as far as the Aussie Government is concerned. The WH visa provides the chance to see Australia whilst doing lowly, unskilled, casual, temporary work for the most part.

Aussie employers will very rarely bother to train someone for a particular job when the WH visa holder can only work for the relevant employer for six months at a time. The WH visa holder might promise to return for another six months next year (which his WH visa allows him to do.) However there is no guarantee that he will return. Employers prefer to spend their training budgets on Aussie PRs or Citizens who will definitely stay with the employer for a reasonable period.

Your idea is a long shot, I believe.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Trace

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

What occupation are you in that makes you so sure that employer-sponsorship for PR will come your way? Are you a Nurse or a Teacher, because they are really the only two main groups who can rely on your proposition 100%?

Which State are you planning to head for? Your two boys aged 12 & 14 will automatically count as being your dependants because they are under 18. However the children of 457 visa holders are treated as International Students by some of the States in Oz, which means Parents pay a fortune to send their kids to the local State schools, whereas in another State the school fees might only be about $300 a year because in the other State there is no penalty payment on school fees for the child of a 457 visa holder.

The Working Holiday to Employer sponsorship to PR in Oz idea only works for a small handful of WH visa holders every year. "Not really skilled" means "Not skilled" as far as the Aussie Government is concerned and two years of temporary, casual jobs totalling a maximum of a possible 21 months in Oz does not provide any real or new skills as far as the Aussie Government is concerned. The WH visa provides the chance to see Australia whilst doing lowly, unskilled, casual, temporary work for the most part.

Aussie employers will very rarely bother to train someone for a particular job when the WH visa holder can only work for the relevant employer for six months at a time. The WH visa holder might promise to return for another six months next year (which his WH visa allows him to do.) However there is no guarantee that he will return. Employers prefer to spend their training budgets on Aussie PRs or Citizens who will definitely stay with the employer for a reasonable period.

Your idea is a long shot, I believe.

Cheers

Gill

Thanx Gill

I am a midwife so think it will be ok to get PR although is never 100% definate..is really tricky but the system is weird cos I can take my partner out and he can stay on my visa whether we get married or not...which we are but makes no difference..yet my own children because they are over 18 are not entiltled to stay..If we do get PR then my partners parents have a good chance of being able to emigrate yet still my own children cannot..is going to be really difficult but have explained everything to them..have said that if they love it enough out there then maybe the only way is then to come back and train in something they really want to do that is also on the skills list...I dont want to worry them too much but then they have to know all the facts..but I really want then to come and to hopefully enjoy themselves...is a lifetime experience so wouldnt want them to miss out..will just have to see what happens I guess

Trace

Archived