Residency

trace1

I had a thought today..happens often but hurts a little more the older I get lol..am planning to emigrate on a 457 visa later this year but when I was younger about 5 years old my mum and dad emigrated to Australia in 1968 lol giving my age away now..we stayed for five years and then my parents decided to come back to the UK..if we stayed for that amount of time would I not have been on my parents visa and passport and does that not mean that I as my mum and dad's daughter had residency at that time and I am therefore not a resident by descent? Can't ask my parents now as my dad died a few years back and don't see my mum..am prob on the wrong track here but if anyone can help would be really grateful..

Trace

I had a thought today..happens often but hurts a little more the older I get lol..am planning to emigrate on a 457 visa later this year but when I was younger about 5 years old my mum and dad emigrated to Australia in 1968 lol giving my age away now..we stayed for five years and then my parents decided to come back to the UK..if we stayed for that amount of time would I not have been on my parents visa and passport and does that not mean that I as my mum and dad's daughter had residency at that time and I am therefore not a resident by descent? Can't ask my parents now as my dad died a few years back and don't see my mum..am prob on the wrong track here but if anyone can help would be really grateful..

Trace

I'm not really sure but I think residency lapses after 5 years away, if your parents got citizenship for themselves and you that would be different???

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

It will al depend on what the rules were 40yrs ago, They may have become citizens. It would not hurt to see if the DIAC could trace their records and see what status they had here.

Archived