Taking our cat to the UK

Guest chellebella

Guest chellebella

We are planning to move to the uk later this year (Sept?) and are now in the process of trying to decide whether to take our cat with us. Our initial reaction was of course we would, but I've been thinkng it over and I'm wondering more and more whether it would be the best thing for the cat. I'm worried that the journey will be traumatic for her (she's a jumpy cat anyway!) and if we could find her a home here (I'm thinking of asking our neighbours since she spend alot of time there and their kids love her) that would be the kinder option.

Cat are very different from dogs and are alot more attached to a place than anything, and I'm worried that the long (noisy, scary, lonely) journey will have a bad effect on her and also acclimatising to the colder climate over there whether that will be difficult for her. When we arrive we'd be staying at my husband's family then would get our own place after a few months so I'm worried that it would be too much upheaval for her (I know it's a huge undertaking for me!!!).

I'm just not sure what to do and whether we are doing the most humane thing to leave her or to take her!!

I'd also be interested to know from anyone who has done this before what the costs are involved and what companies they used. I know we'd need to get a pet passport and get her rabies shot 6 months before we leave which is why we feeling pressured to make the decision now!

we have just moved back to the uk. we gave our two cats away, to good homes, and it was heart breaking...but we feel it was the best for them. dont take my advice as 100%, its just our experience and my opinion. speak to a vet for extra advice, and whatever you do i hope it works out for you.

We shipped our cat Amy over from the uk and then she had 6 weeks in quarantine in sydney. She was very traumatised by the whole experience and for the first few days hid under our quilts and then wouldnt come downstairs and then we couldnt get her to go outside. She was very jumpy for about 2 weeks but once she realised she was home she was fine and now she absolutley loves it here.

It is a difficult experience for them but they will get over it fairly quickly and I am so glad I didnt give her away before we came as she is so much a part of our family.

We are moving from the Uk to Oz and have managed to find a really good family for our brother and sister cats to stay here.

We made the decision very early on that we wouldn't bring them with us. The female cat has to have sunblock applied to her ears in the Uk summer (she is prodominantly white) so if we had have brought her she would have been smothered 24/7!!!

They are going to their new family at easter so we can see them settled before we leave. It will be heartbreaking, especially for the children but I know we have made the right decision for them.

Only you can make the right decision for your cat. Good luck!

Melanie x

Archived