Test Engineer/ Mech Fitter in Qld

Guest The Ryders

Guest The Ryders

My wife, daughter and I have just got our visa and are flying out to Brisbane on 25/26th June. We are planning to live in Jimboomba, 25 miles south of Bris.

I'm 37 and a time-served fitter/turner from Devonport Dockyard. After my apprenticeship (1986 - 1990) I joined the British Merchant Navy (Shell) as a Junior Engineer on Oil tankers worldwide. Over the next 10 years I worked my way up through 4th Engineer, 3rd Engineer and finally Cargo Engineer on LNG Tankers transporting Liquid methane from Brunei/Malaysia to Japan.

I left Shell in 2000 and spent a year as a fit-out Engineer building luxury motor cruisers and then returned to the Dockyard for a position as a Test Engineer, working on the Vanguard Class Submarines.

Now I'm looking for work in Queensland. Ideally I'd like to get involved with the resources industry again...Oil/Gas or perhaps mining and I'm happy to work away from home for a few weeks at a time. Other than that, any mechanical based fitting work would be good, I'm quite experienced with medium and slow speed diesel generators/propulsion units (750kW to 27000 BHP) but I'm flexible, intelligent and physically fit and like to think I can adapt to almost anything.

If anyone knows of anything suitable I'd appreciate a response.....TY

Guest fatpom
My wife, daughter and I have just got our visa and are flying out to Brisbane on 25/26th June. We are planning to live in Jimboomba, 25 miles south of Bris.

I'm 37 and a time-served fitter/turner from Devonport Dockyard.

If anyone knows of anything suitable I'd appreciate a response.....TY

G'Day,

I'm a Fitter Turner also (well originally). You're not likely to find any work until you arrive here... no-one will be interested unless they've got really bad turnover of workforce.

If you're looking for mining work contact relevant agencies on arrival. Because the money is so good you'll need to stand out from the crowd but there is plenty of work around for the right guys.

Why have you picked Jimboomba? With your experience I would have thought that you'd more likely find good work east side (coast) especially near the docks (north of river). However there are plenty of industrial areas on the south side so provided you're flexible shouldn't present too many problems.

Get yourself aquainted with Australian OH&S laws, regulations & practices. Checkout Qld gov sites they provide good info. Too many poms (& migrants generally) think they don't need to learn the local practices & it shows up in the interview if you're applying for jobs with some level of responsibility. But don't get angsty about it as most aussie engineers over 50 have no idea either. :)

Good Luck :)

Guest clayton gang

I'm 37 and a time-served fitter/turner from Devonport Dockyard. After my apprenticeship (1986 - 1990) I joined the British Merchant Navy (Shell) as a Junior Engineer on Oil tankers worldwide. Over the next 10 years I worked my way up through 4th Engineer, 3rd Engineer and finally Cargo Engineer on LNG Tankers transporting Liquid methane from Brunei/Malaysia to Japan.

I left Shell in 2000 and spent a year as a fit-out Engineer building luxury motor cruisers and then returned to the Dockyard for a position as a Test Engineer, working on the Vanguard Class Submarines.

Hi Ryders

I don't if this site be of any use to you.

http://www.infomine.com/careers/jobs/r7.f13/australasia.mechanical.mining.jobs.aspx

Jenny:spinny:

Archived