Independant or not...

DaveS

I recently started a new relationship with an Australian on a working-holiday visa here in the UK. Her VISA expires May 2011, which coincides quite nicely with when I was hoping to get out to Aus!

While it is early days - I have looked into the partner visa options. It seems that it pretty quick, a lot cheaper, wont involve any of the skills assessment and is much less liable to change!

Is all the above correct? And what happens if we break up after migrating to Aus? Is it going to be safer for me to remain independent?

She is also eager to earn her British passport so she can return whenever she likes in the future, this process seems pretty long-winded, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of how long it might take?

Thanks for reading

Guest Guest31881
I recently started a new relationship with an Australian on a working-holiday visa here in the UK. Her VISA expires May 2011, which coincides quite nicely with when I was hoping to get out to Aus!

While it is early days - I have looked into the partner visa options. It seems that it pretty quick, a lot cheaper, wont involve any of the skills assessment and is much less liable to change!

Is all the above correct? And what happens if we break up after migrating to Aus? Is it going to be safer for me to remain independent?

She is also eager to earn her British passport so she can return whenever she likes in the future, this process seems pretty long-winded, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of how long it might take?

Thanks for reading

Hi Dave,

i presume you would be going for a defacto visa and you need to prove that you have been together 12 month to apply for one, as she is not due to leave till 2011 you could do that. But you will need to start gathering evidence from now, bills to same address, bank statements showing you both pay for the upkeep of your home and share bills. you can get a more informed list from the Immigration web site.

As for security, you would probably be granted a temporary spouse visa, that means you can enter Australia and your partner would be your sponsor. That visa lasts for two years then you apply for the perminant residency visa (PR). Once granted you can stay In Australia for as long as you like. If your relationship break down before the two Year temporary visa is made perminant. Then you will find that you will probably have to leave Australia. :notworthy:

Guest Guest31881
Thanks, that sounds remarkably simple

It does till you start downloading all the forms, check lists and advice books, then sort out medicals and police checks.

Thats when you buy a wig to replace the hair you pulled out.

But it is easier than a lot of visas :biglaugh:

Archived