TAFE or university?

Guest liaminho

Guest liaminho

I will be moving to Australia in October 2008 when i have successfully completed my A-levels. I want to know if I will have to go to TAFE before I go to university?:wacko:

Thank you.

Guest Abi&Dan

I know TAFE does do business courses etc but believe it is on the same level as Uni, rather than like a pre emptive college.

I think the difference is TAFE is technical training (a bit like an old style Technical College in the UK back in the day) - so apprentiships and Oz versions of NVQs are generally done there, where Uni is more the academic side.

My OH will be training in Air Con & Refrigeration and he'll need to do that at a TAFE college.

So it really depends what you're looking to do!!

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/tafecourses/

Guest Abi&Dan

The air force? Don't you just join up?? The OH was in the army and I know he just joined up when he was 19 and they do all the training for you. If he'd gone to Sandhurst they'd do all the officer training - I think RAF is the same format so reckon RAAF will be too?

http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/people/airforce_life/airman.htm

http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/people/airforce_life/officer.htm

There's some interesting stuff about joining up whilst at Uni and them funding you.

However, just realised you're probably not a citizen and you probably need to at least be on a permanent visa to join up?

In that case I'd say - go TAFE and get a trade - but research RAAF a bit and find out what trades they want.

Hope that helps

Guest kdal

My OH will be training in Air Con & Refrigeration and he'll need to do that at a TAFE college.

unquote

Hi Abi

Does your OH do Air con & Refrigeration work here? As that's what my OH does

so they def have to go back to college once they get to Oz then?

regards

Kim

p.s. Sorry to butt in on your thread Liaminho, and good luck

Guest Abi&Dan

http://www.airah.org.au/

So mad :arghh: just typed a really long response and then my system crashed!!!

Anyway - to make it a bit shorter - the OH was army and current trade is mechanic - hates it so wants to retrain. We researched loads and have picked Air con/refrig due to both his preferences and the excellent job opps. Doing it in Oz so he starts off with the Oz quals.

So don't worry love - your OH wont need to go to college as such for a proper course.

He might need to do some registration exams though - I now plumbers/leccies etc all need to be registered to get decent money and that can often entail exams and sometimes even a bit of time at college to get the Oz versions of the quals.

You should find a local TAFE college in the area you want to go and contact them to ask whether he needs to be registered and what exams he might need to take. When we were researching plumbing we did that for one in Melb (can't remember which one - there's loads) and they came back with a list and costs etc. Only thing is - if you email keep at them cos they're pretty rubbish in getting back to you. Above is Air Con website might help x

Hope this helps and if you're off to Melbourne let me know (we can harangue you for jobs when Dan's qualified :D lol).

Good luck x

Guest kdal

Thanks for the reply, relief to think he won't have to do too much college work,as got to get him out there earning the $ (lol). Thank for the link will have a look at it.

Not sure where we are going it will be Sunshine Coast I think though! But will keep in touch as you never know he may get a job with someone that got work all over Oz. We did speak to a company a while ago and they said 'whereabouts in Oz, would you like to be posted'!!! They had jobs all over Australia.

Stay in touch x

Archived