Right Direction?

munchkinpie

Morning all!

We are very early stages ie no applications made yet but minds made up etc and trawling our way through the minefield of info. :confused:

As it stands my other half would be the main applicant. He is a Visual Effects Technical Director which is on the ENSOL. So we are guessing the next step is to have is skills assessed (just need to find out how long the assessment is then valid for so need to back and research that site?)

We talked over last night the option of him perhaps applying for a Working Holiday 417 Visa and getting out there and building up some employment contacts. Any one else done this? Me and the kids will stay in UK which will be tough but a worthwhile sacrifice and perfect holiday opportunity lol

He has found plenty of advertised jobs in most of the main cities (Sydney/Melbourne etc) that he is more than qualified so fingers crossed he would find work easily.

Unfortunately I had to leave my nurse training in 2003 a year before qualifying due to marital breakdown but have always wanted to get back into it and would love to train in Aus - Student Visas from what I gather mean you need to prove ability to support your dependants - if oh was successful in his application would that still be the case does anyone know?

Finally cause ive rambled on - my biological father lives in Tas. He isnt on my birth certificate, Im over 25 (long ago), he has no other children but i have other siblings in UK from my mum so am I correct in saying that none of the family visas would be applicable?

Thank you in advance for those brave enough to read all this.

xxx

Hi munchkinpie,

Welcome to Poms in OZ.

I would say your father can sponsor you - if either you or your spouse have close relative living in Australia, they can sponsor you. As he lives in Tasmania, you would be awarded 25 points (for designated location) in general stream. But, you must have recognised occupation included on the SOL.

Spouses occupation is not on SOL - he is ineligible. Can you be asessed as nurse?

About family visas, I'm afraid you are right - your only chance was when you were under 25. I would say your chance is to search for a sponsor.

In doing so, maybe my post can help you :

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/76655-can-agencies-find-us-job.html

Regards.

If husband's job is on the ENSOL but not the SOL, then the next step is not skills assessment, but would be finding an employer sponsor. Not much point having a positive skills assessment without an employer lined up.

As neither of you qualify for skilled migrant and you also would not qualify for a relative visa, the WHV to find an employer sponsor might be one idea. Note you and the children would not be able to accompany your husband at any time during his time on WHV trip. (how they would know, I don't know, but that is the rule and I wouldn't want to risk it).

If your husband was successful in finding a sponsor you would not need a student visa, you would just go on his visa which allows you to study.

As presumably time is on your side, another option might be to continue your nurse training in the UK and then immigration will be a breeze on your credentials.

Thanks Goxian and Pumpkin

Ive spent another few days reading everything and anything I can.

We spoke to a few migration agents at the Expo in London on Saturday all who seemed convinced oh's job would be classed under one of the IT or Computer categories on SOL (although he and I arent convinced of this) He is just brushing up his cv for them to look at and see where they take it from there.

We have found a fair few companies where we are looking to move to that are looking for staff of his level so he is going to contact them also. Plus there are loads in Sydney which isnt our first choice but hey beggars cant be choosers.

Looking like we will go for WHV later in the year and hopefully he can secure some sponsorship!

xxx

Archived