Music that helped me!

Guest guyadamsg3

Guest guyadamsg3

Hi Guys!

Bit of a background! I came to Melbourne from Swansea, South Wales in December 2007. Spent three months and came home ( I have dual citizenship, long story but welsh through and through, never lived in Australia before, only holidays!). The minute I landed at heathrow I wondered what on earth I had done, and within three days had tickets booked back to Melbourne in September 2008.

Lived and worked here until August 2009 when I went home. It was great to see family and friends but the fundamentals of the UK had not changed and were not the romanticised version that I dreamed up whilst missing home. The place was run down, depressing, small, and nobody ever does anything or goes anywhere! I was back in Melbourne within a month and have been here happy ever since.

If I ever get the home pangs I simply listen to one song.

Changes - Will Young

Not only is it a great tune but they lyrics speak to me and remind me what I now have here and how I would be crazy to go back to Wales. I love Wales, it will always be home, but Melbourne is where I want to be......

Anyone else do anything similar?

Guest June Pixie

Initially I thought "Everyday is like Sunday" when we wanted to leave the UK, it seemed so drab and grey compared to the sun and sand of Perth or Brisbane. Starting the visa process was easy and all you have to do is "Ask" for help on PIO to get you though it but by then I had started to "Panic" at the thought of leaving and asked myself "What difference does it make", living in either the UK or Australia? By that time the DIAC had already pulled the plug on issuing visas and made changes, stole our money (in effect) and "Started something they couldn't finish"; I then realised that it had all been a "Miserable Lie" and "The joke wasn't funny anymore" so I now sit and wait and ponder "How Soon Is Now"? and "Last night I (even) dreamt a CO loved me"!

Guest guyadamsg3
Hi,

Cant agree with the song choice there! But i know wot u mean - songs can help you through anything in life.

We are from south wales also, Rhymney in fact. Near merthyr tydfil and are hoping to move 2011/12.

We have family in nsw so hoping to move there.

Oh you should! Although being a Melburnian I am a bit biased! I'm from Mumbles originally

Guest Guest37175
Initially I thought "Everyday is like Sunday" when we wanted to leave the UK, it seemed so drab and grey compared to the sun and sand of Perth or Brisbane. Starting the visa process was easy and all you have to do is "Ask" for help on PIO to get you though it but by then I had started to "Panic" at the thought of leaving and asked myself "What difference does it make", living in either the UK or Australia? By that time the DIAC had already pulled the plug on issuing visas and made changes, stole our money (in effect) and "Started something they couldn't finish"; I then realised that it had all been a "Miserable Lie" and "The joke wasn't funny anymore" so I now sit and wait and ponder "How Soon Is Now"? and "Last night I (even) dreamt a CO loved me"!

I have 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' running through my head most days, especially the line "this is the sea-side town they forgot to close down!"

Current favourite is the Pet Shop Boys 'This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave!'

Archived