Contributory Parent Visa 173 - Can I be a Sponsor?

Guest JackMouse

Guest JackMouse

Hi There,

My Mom want to apply the 173 congributory parent visa and stay with me in Australia. I wonder if I can be a sponsor, the followings are my situations:

1. I have got my Permanent Resident Visa for 2 years.

2. I am now a full time research student and do some causal jobs in University. I have a little more than 20,000 per year non-taxable scholarship as the main source of allowance.

3. I have only one sister so the familly balance requisite can be fulfill.

Now I wonder can I be a qualified sponsor for my Parent? If so, my Mom can apply this UT 173 visa. If not, She will wait untill I graduate and find a job?

Many thanks!

Jack

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jack

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

As far as I know, there is no particular income requirement with a Sponsor for a CPV. The Sponsor merely confirms that if the Parent falls on hard times during her first two years in Australia, the Sponsor will provide the Parent with food, clothing, somewhere reasonable to live and enough cash to get by on, so that the Parent won't go without in Australia.

I would suggest that what you do is to e-mail the Parents Visa Centre on parents@immi.gov.au They were immensely helpful to me when I e-mailed them with a couple of queries prior to sending an application for my own mother's CPV 143. The PVC respond within a couple of days, usually, and I found that their replies were comprehensive and utterly sensible.

I would suggest that you tell the PVC about your current income and about the place where you live. If that is a bed-sit or a shared house, where will Mom live? She has the money for a CPV so she can't be destitute but CPV parents are not means tested.

My feeling is that you should try an e-mail first. If the reply does not cover everything or you have further questions afterwards, you could always phone hte PVC later, I suggest.

Please bear in mind, too, that if you get a CPV 173 for Mom, she MUST convert it to the CPV 143 within 2 years of the grant of the 173. Experience at the moment is that it takes about 15 months to get a CO with a CPV and probably a couple of months after that to finalise everything and get the visa granted. So there is a lead-in time but in the last DIAC Report, the Minister said that he wanted to get to a situation in which CPVs could be applied for and finalised within 12 months.

Please remember that an Assurance of Support will be needed for the CPV 143 and the Assurer is thoroughly means-tested by Centrelink. Please see the following links and keep an eye on Assurances of Support in case the figures alter at any time:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/assurance_support.htm

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-9/ssguide-9.4.html

Cheers

Gill

Guest JackMouse
Hi Jack

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

As far as I know, there is no particular income requirement with a Sponsor for a CPV. The Sponsor merely confirms that if the Parent falls on hard times during her first two years in Australia, the Sponsor will provide the Parent with food, clothing, somewhere reasonable to live and enough cash to get by on, so that the Parent won't go without in Australia.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thank you for your quickly reply.

If I had a job I 'd like to let my Mom apply the 143 too, but I know I am not qualified for AOS now. So I think if she apply for 173, and during the process, I can find job and be the AOS myself. As what you have said, I should sent a email to ask about my question. Do you have any more suggestions? Do you know how long it takes for this 173, because it is the hardest time to apply immigration visa.

Regards,

Jack

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jack

The only suggestions I can offer are that you tell the PVC absolutely everything about your own situation now so that they can guide you fully and properly. Ask them whether there is any particular Policy about Sponsors and their income? If so, ask what the Policies are about this and ask them to tell you exactly what the Policy documents say, since those are not published anywhere that the public can access them for free.

They might also want to know what Mom's detailed situation is so tell them about that as well, I suggest.

For recent timelines, please see below:

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3. - Page 66 : British Expat Discussion Forum

If you go to the bottom of sandch's signature, he mentiond Gainwave. That is a website which he set up specially to track the process for himself and other CPV applicants. It is not official in any way but it is very helpful. The BE thread is helpful as well.

Cheers

Gill

Archived