Car Buying Question in state of NSW

Guest offshore

Guest offshore

Hi all, so I'm flying out in 2 weeks time - my plan is to try to buy a used car and do a 3 week trip to visit several friends in different states.

To save money I'm going to buy a 2nd hand rather than rent, Here lies the problem though.

Does the RTA car registration tranfer require a residential address before they can issue a transfer?

Because I will not have a place to live lined up yet - would that cause me a problem or prevent me from buying a car/ transfer the title to me?

I heard that some long term backpackers buy used cars and drive it for a year - surely they won't have a residential address in OZ either?

Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers!

You need an NSW driver number at least to register the car in you name. A residential address can be a rental address which I expect is what backpackers use as most don't walk off a plane into a car dealership.

Do you have a friend that you are staying with when you first get here? If they have a full NSW licence they can complete the form saying you are living with them.

Guest wanderer

I'd have a look at rental prices before you decide to buy for just three weeks as buying an older car might get you something not too reliable and then unless you're starting and finishing your trip in the same state, selling it will be a bit of a problem and selling quicktime anyway you'll have to have an attitude of getting whatever you can for it and that may be quite a bit less than you paid for it.

Have a look at www.drivenow.com.au or Car Rental Hobart Hire Car Tasmania Brisbane Queensland Melbourne Airport Gold Coast Sydney & Adelaide. Cheap Rental Car Australia and then doing some campervan relocations might fit in with your plans - Rental Relocations Australia New Zealand United States Canada - Hire Now at StandByCars

Archived