Not a Pom but in same boat as you guys!

ayatollah

Hi there,

As I say above, I'm not a Pom, I'm actually from N. Ireland. So obviously the same rules apply to me! :tongue:

But I am looking into trying to convince my wife to move over, it'll be tough as she is such a home bird! She found it tough living in Belfast, which is only 30 mins from our home town! I am thinking that the next few years would be the right time for us as most of our friends have moved on to England, the US and Australia so we might as well go too!

A bit of background on us, I have been over to Australia twice, both times to Tasmania which I fell in love with. My dad lived in Tasmania for 13 years and made a lot of friends, he set up the Irish Association of Tasmania, which is still going strong today. As he made loads of friends, I met them all when I was over, he also had another child while there so I have a sister in Hobart. This would mean that we would go over with a good friend base before we even began!

My wife has never been over, but has always been open to a move. But everytime we talk about it she retreats and says that she would most likely only be able to handle a year. So my plan is to take her over on a reccie and show her how wonderful the place is.

So that is what we are doing, in February we are going for a month. 1 week to Perth to spend time with cousins and family friends and 3 weeks in Hobart. I have a few plans on what to do when we are over but may be hitting you up with some ideas! :wink:

If we do decide to take the plunge I'm sure this site will be a valuable resource for every bit of information I could need. But hope to chat soon to you all!

Peadar

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Peadar

Welcome to PIO. It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful holiday and i am sure once your wife has visited she will be the one asking you if you can move over here. One word of advice and that is to look if you would be eligible to apply for a visa because it would be very depressing for you both if you fall in love with the place and then realise you can't get in.

Good luck with everything.

Kate

Guest siamsusie
Hi there,

As I say above, I'm not a Pom, I'm actually from N. Ireland. So obviously the same rules apply to me! :tongue:

Hi there,

Welcome to PIO, I am sure you will enjoy this site very much. Tasmania is gorgeous, I am so proud of "Australia's best kept secret":laugh:. We are up north but there are a few of us from Tasmania on this site that will be delighted to answer any questions you may have.

Very best wishes Susie :wubclub:

Hi there,

Hi there,

Welcome to PIO, I am sure you will enjoy this site very much. Tasmania is gorgeous, I am so proud of "Australia's best kept secret":laugh:. We are up north but there are a few of us from Tasmania on this site that will be delighted to answer any questions you may have.

Very best wishes Susie :wubclub:

sure you'll love it, its a good idea to check it out first, but remember, your on holiday so its gonna be nicer than reality

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for the visa eligibility, I have done one of them online assesment things (I know their not reliable) but it said we should be eligible.

I am a computer programmer with 3 years experience, some sites say that you need to have 5 years but even if that is true I'll most likely have been employed for 5 years by the time the visa comes through. We are both 26 with university degrees, my wife's is in technology and design.

My wife worked for 4 years as a kitchen designer but was made redundant in March. Since then she has been working as a care assistant which she loves but doesn't have a qualification in yet. She is also thinking of going back to do nursing.

I read somewhere that cousins can sponsor you, but don't know if that is true as I can't find the same page! I can't get my sister to sponsor me as she is only 12!

Online assessments suggest that I would have 130 points.

Occupation (Computer Professional - .Net) - 60

Age (26) - 30

English (Native, degree level) - 25

MODL - 15

I know its a holiday, but I have already spent around 10 weeks in Tasmania and went through the boring times as well as the exciting times. But I see your point that my wife may only see all the fun as our time in Tasmania will be packed full of activities! But I'll try to bring her down to earth when she inevitably falls in love!

Guest siamsusie
Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for the visa eligibility, I have done one of them online assesment things (I know their not reliable) but it said we should be eligible.

I am a computer programmer with 3 years experience, some sites say that you need to have 5 years but even if that is true I'll most likely have been employed for 5 years by the time the visa comes through. We are both 26 with university degrees, my wife's is in technology and design.

My wife worked for 4 years as a kitchen designer but was made redundant in March. Since then she has been working as a care assistant which she loves but doesn't have a qualification in yet. She is also thinking of going back to do nursing.

I read somewhere that cousins can sponsor you, but don't know if that is true as I can't find the same page! I can't get my sister to sponsor me as she is only 12!

Online assessments suggest that I would have 130 points.

Occupation (Computer Professional - .Net) - 60

Age (26) - 30

English (Native, degree level) - 25

MODL - 15

I know its a holiday, but I have already spent around 10 weeks in Tasmania and went through the boring times as well as the exciting times. But I see your point that my wife may only see all the fun as our time in Tasmania will be packed full of activities! But I'll try to bring her down to earth when she inevitably falls in love!

I have no regrets living there, I fell in love with the state directly. (I think my husband who is a Tasmanian was delighted)...It reminds me so much of Scotland in so many different ways, and one of our members Kev (itcouldbeworst) has some stunning photography of the island which I am sure your wife would take delight in.

Whatever your outcome enjoy your journey

Susie:wubclub:

Guest kyastras

Dear Belfast!

I am from Tassie too, moved here from WA, struggled a lot but now well settled. I can understand people who "fall in love" with Tasmania while on their summer holidays because that's what holidays are all about.

And that is easy.

Please don't take this as a negative comment or whinging but try to bring your wife over here say in June-August, when we have no tourists but fog, mud and rain, with the street life being almost dead after 6 pm (apart from the Hobart CBD); or even in October when we had gale force winds for the last 3 years in a row and about 900 houses lost their roofs (close to the area where I live) earlier this year. Or try to find a good-paying job on the market that is now losing some of its key industries and more and more people are shifting onto the mainland out of desperation.

Try and visit places like Queenstown, Rosebery, Zeehan on the West Coast and see what's "life" like over there. Or go and see what Smithton is like. Go and try to land a job over there. I agree central Hobart is nice and I like it but go and see some of its outskirts where even police is rarely seen.

Due to the lack of higher educational facilities (we only have 1 Uni), your kids' education opportunities will be quite limited, The cultural life beyond Hobart and Launceston central parts is almost non-existent, unless you take rodeos, wood-cutting championships and trout-fishing competitions for cultural events.

Lots of feral and unemployed youth (highest official unemployment figures nation-wide but hush.. we don't want to lose our tourists) in places like Burnie, Sheffield, East Devonport etc with hoons chasing each other past your house windows all night.

Real estate is cheaper compared to the mainland yet not many want to come down and live in a weatherboard house circa 1940 that is in need of constant maintenance. Nice water front beauties are as unaffordable as anywhere else. Big blocks of land are also available and not very expensive if you want to build your own house but you must also enjoy spending your life looking after the yard, trees, grass, pests and paying huge land taxes.

Shortly, Tasmania is nice for visiting in the summer time but nothing ever comes easy for those who want to settle down here and have "a great life style". It is all about what kind of trade off you are comfortable with. And for some of those enjoying a relatively good life in Europe but who are just "sick of it" and get itchy feet, the risk-return trade-off may not be actually worth it.

Best of luck whatever your final decision may be!

Guest linpry7

Well you are a bit of a woos, I came out here when I was 19 on my own, take the plunge you say, I went in head first and never looked back. regardless of your situation you seem to have it better than most people who have emigrated here, you have relations here, I did not.

Best wishes Linda

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. Got back from my time away in March there and my wife loved it.

While I was over I was also offered a job and they offered to sponsor my visa. So I said I'd leave it a couple of months before talking to my wife about it, to allow the holiday feeling to die off.

So I am going to begin the conversations with my wife, trying to convince her to move, shortly. Before I do I'd like to know what the visa application will cost us, as I was a bit confused by the Australia IMMI site Employer Sponsored Permanent Visa Charges

On this it says $445 for ENS nomination, then a 1st installment of $1705 for application outside Australia. However, the 2nd installment is what confuses me. Does it apply in my case? It seems to only apply to people with poor English, which is certainly not my case.

Also, what is the typical timeline for this type of visa to be granted? I read somewhere 2-8 months is the expected time. And how long do you have to move over after the visa is granted?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

EDIT: Also posted in Migration Issues forum as its a bit off topic here. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/86896-employer-sponsored-visa-question.html#post769681

Archived