Not long left on childs passport

Guest ollie247

Guest ollie247

Hi there,

Does anyone know the rules with passport control to go back to the UK to live from oz,

We are now moving back to the UK and just noticed on my son's passport that it expires in May so that is less than 6 months on it.

Someone told me that you cannot travel on this as the UK which we are british and it is a british passport that they won't allow him in as its due to expire???

What are the rules. Of course you only find these things out when everywhere is closed for the long christmas break??

Any comments would be grateful.

Thanks

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok,it's not necessarily the UK authorities that may cause problems because a British citizen can be immigration cleared to enter the UK on a passport that expired up to 12 months previously but many airlines,in fact most of them will deny you boarding if your passport has less than 6 months expiry left.

It's relatively easy to renew a UK passport in Australia but it is more expensive than doing so in the UK.

To renew a passport here you go to UK in Australia - The British High Commission in Canberra and Consular network in Australia and download the forms and the fee sheets,get the passport photos done and take them to an Australia Post office who will check them and send them to New Zealand for processing,it takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get a passport renewed this way.

Lodge your British passport application at Australia Post

The current fee for a child passport issued in Australia is $206.00 (£114.00) as against £79.50 in the UK!

Guest tlander56
Hi there,

Does anyone know the rules with passport control to go back to the UK to live from oz,

We are now moving back to the UK and just noticed on my son's passport that it expires in May so that is less than 6 months on it.

Someone told me that you cannot travel on this as the UK which we are british and it is a british passport that they won't allow him in as its due to expire???

What are the rules. Of course you only find these things out when everywhere is closed for the long christmas break??

Any comments would be grateful.

Thanks

Hi There,

We are in the same boat as you...my daughters was due to expire mid Jun....Malaysian airlines said that was not acceptable so we had to renew hers...was very straight forward..had it back within 2 weeks :wink:

Tanya

Guest ollie247

Thanks for your reply.

Have you looked into your superannuations. We were told we couldn't get it back what is sitting in our BT super as we are permament residents... What I don't understand is... If we never return to OZ and perment visa expires which only has 1 and half years anyway then we will never be able to return anyway, therefore how are we entitiled to a pension here when we mature in age at 65... We don't have much in our super anyway which is our employers contribu anyway?? Does anyone know of a way round this??

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Archived