Looking for buddies :)

Guest aimstar13

Guest aimstar13

Festive Greetings to you all!

I've been living in Sydney for 2 years now and I do very unsocial shift work. Because of this I have gone from being Miss popularity and social whirlwind in the Uk, to Norman- no-mates over here.

I'm now at the PR stage - however, I'm now thinking I may have to return home if I can't get myself some more social networks :( I'm finding it very hard here and even though I have a wonderful boyfriend, I'm feeling very isolated and homesick.

Someone suggested looking for sites like these and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to inject a bit more social interaction in my life through this?

Is there groups or clubs I could attend? Or does anyone like wine, coffee, or sandwiches on the beach? lol!

Would be great to meet some interesting people. :)

Guest aimstar13

Hello Jane, David, and Dudley!

I'm living in the Ryde area but have previously live in town. I'm in Residential Youth work so do lots of sleepovers and weekend work.

Where abouts are you guys?

Originally from Falkirk eh? I'm from the 'Burgh' but don't hold it against me! lol!

Guest mutikonka

We're in Strathfield, which is just down the road from Ryde (we use the pool there sometimes). We'd like to meet more poms but most of the PIO-ers in Sydey seem to be in the Hills district or northern beaches.

I keep meaning to try organise a few more central/inner west social events for PIO, but nevr get round to it

cheers

Michael

Guest guest30038

I'm in Residential Youth work !

Surprised that you've got any energy left to have a social life :wink:.........been there done that :rolleyes:

Good luck anyway chook.

kev

Ryde isn't too far from the Hills area, and yes there are a few of us out this way, however not many who meet up, so if you have transport that may be an option for you.

feel free to PM me

Guest Nicky and Mark

Hi,

I have been living in Coogee for 5 months now. I work from home and on the road so have not met many people either, like you I had a great social lift in the UK and am finding it a little difficult at times here, especially at this time of year! I have a great fella but we need to meet some new friends too.

I love drinking wine and coffee and, of course, people watching! This is my first post on this so look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Nicky :)

Hi,

I have been living in Coogee for 5 months now. I work from home and on the road so have not met many people either, like you I had a great social lift in the UK and am finding it a little difficult at times here, especially at this time of year! I have a great fella but we need to meet some new friends too.

I love drinking wine and coffee and, of course, people watching! This is my first post on this so look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Nicky :)

We should try and organise a get together somewhere soon. I think especially if you are a couple its hard to meet others and i know my hubby would like some male company. All my friends here are girls!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rose4eva

hey im coming over in a few weeks, will be living in kingford/randwick area, if you fancy meeting up, im from wales (north) in the Uk, alison

Anyone fancy a meet up either city or eastern suburbs next weekend (9th-10th Jan)?

Girlfriend and I are over in the middle of April. I know its a way off, but we'd be up for meeting people.... Think we are going to be living in Balmain. Always up for wine and people watching (and i'm a man :biglaugh:)

Hope you arrange a meet up soon

Nicholas - Liverpool

Girlfriend and I are over in the middle of April. I know its a way off, but we'd be up for meeting people.... Think we are going to be living in Balmain. Always up for wine and people watching (and i'm a man :biglaugh:)

Hope you arrange a meet up soon

Nicholas - Liverpool

sounds good!

Guest damnameany

jane, david and dudley x

:hug:

Anyone fancy a meet up either city or eastern suburbs next weekend (9th-10th Jan)?

Sure just need time and place ether day is good for me

I am in Galdseville been here 3 months

Guest Nicky and Mark
Sure just need time and place ether day is good for me

I am in Galdseville been here 3 months

Me and Mark are planning to go to Sydney for the Sydney Festival at the weekend to catch some free live music and have a few drinks. If anyone fancies meeting up just let me know.

Cheers, Nicky and Mark :)

Me and Mark are planning to go to Sydney for the Sydney Festival at the weekend to catch some free live music and have a few drinks. If anyone fancies meeting up just let me know.

Cheers, Nicky and Mark :)

Sounds good - is that Saturday night it starts? How about meeting up about 7pm? Any idea where?

Guest Nicky and Mark

I think there is stuff going on all day and gets pretty busy by the evening - give us a call or txt on 0414971274 and we can meet up! See you then :)

Guest jane99

Hi Im Jane, I am in Canada Bay (Inner West) with my 12 year old son, I would love to meet up with people too. We have been here 6 months and have met a few new people, but mainly Aussies who have established friends and family around. Although I love it here we have both been feeling homesick and had the 'Wobbles'! over Christmas. Please let me know if there is going to be a meet up this weekend I would love to come. Looking forward to hearing from people.

Guest damnameany

I am definitely going will be there from around 12 until late. I will be wearing a camera rucksack on my back with a tripod attached. Oh yes clothes as well J. I will be contacting Nicky and Mark later for the location as they have posted their phone number here is mine 0466265689 Robert

Guest jane99
I am definitely going will be there from around 12 until late. I will be wearing a camera rucksack on my back with a tripod attached. Oh yes clothes as well J. I will be contacting Nicky and Mark later for the location as they have posted their phone number here is mine 0466265689 Robert

That sounds great! If you dont mind I will give you a ring later for details then. Jane

Guest SophieB

I would love to meet up with anyone in April. Me and the family will be coming over for a 5 week validation trip and staying in Drummoyne. Nickjenkinson, we'll be very close to you.

We'll have the two nippers (5 and 3) so we're a bit constrained but we're very flexible-minded and will try and make evening things if that's the plan.

Sophie and Joe

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KerrieC

Hey, I am totally in the same boat - am starting to think I should change my name to 'billy no mates'!

I live in Milsons Point with my hubby (I'm 28 and he is 31) and we have been here for the last year and half. We do have some australian friends but not as many as we had at home and as I do contract work, it is hard to meet as many people.

Anyway, feeling a bit homesick at the mo but only miss friends and family etc so looking to make more new friends to just go out and have a laugh with. I have never used a site like this before but I thought I should give it a go. So if you aren't a complete nutcase then get in touch if you would like to meet for coffee etc! :)

Thanks

Kerrie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hulagirl

Hi there!

I have the same problem - crazy work type activities left me with little time to get out and meet people. Scarily have been here for 4 years now and am trying to get off me butt and do something about it!!

My name is Jude, I'm 33 & I live in Balmain (so despite not driving I am pretty good to get round the inner west, city and lower north shore) with my Aussie husband. I'm from Liverpool originally.

Would love to meet up with like minded folk - have interests in cake, chocolate, beer, well, eating and drinking in general :biggrin: walking, swimming, beaching...Also happy to help poms new to Sydney. This is my first time using a forum like this so here goes...

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Is there groups or clubs I could attend? Or does anyone like wine, coffee, or sandwiches on the beach? lol!

Would be great to meet some interesting people. :)

Guest Lanabanana

Heya

I am in a similar situation. My partner and I moved here with our 10 year old daughter a year ago (I am 30 and he is 33) and we do not know ANYONE.

We have not really made any friends yet and do not have any family close at all.

I am a kiwi (dont let that put you off we are all really cool lol) and my partner is English and I know I for one, would love to meet some people so I could occasionally have a girly night out or in. People over for BBQs and that kind of stuff.

We live in Five Dock which is pretty close to all the other 'burbs mentioned.

We do have some friends moving over from NZ, which we are really excited about but even they will be living a 2 and a half hour drive away.

I would be keen to meet up with anyone in a similar situation. I am not a freak...well just a little bit..but not the knife weilding kind or anything lol.

Archived