Where best to live in australia and what areas to avoid.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest scotties6

Hi Petal

Hey that is just my opinion of these places having lived in Mount Martha for 4 years based on what I have seen and i have spent time in those places. However I totally disagree about the Tyabb schools - my children went to Mornington Park in Tyabb and it was extremely rough so they had to be removed. It is well known as a deprived area - so much so that they introduced a breakfast service for the kids as so many hadn't eaten before they arrived at school!!!

I think you are confused there is no Mornington Park school in Tyabb. Tyabb primary schools are top Tyabb which is in the country and mainly has children from the studs, and acreage around the school, Tyabb Rail which is in the village of Tyabb and has a very good reputation. High School at Tyabb is Flinders College private school which is opposite top Tyabb primary school. The next nearest primary school going towards Mornington would be Moorooduc primary another nice school.

People need to make up their own minds, for me I would not live in Mount Martha unless I lived around the Esplanade, I think Mount Martha and Mornington have been ruined and there is just acres and acres of souless estates with nothing for the young to do. At least the council woke up when Jeff Kennett told them about what was happening and made the zoning over in the western area more appropriate so that the villages would be retained with green acreage around them rather than stretching out over all the farm land.

The zoning around Somerville for instance is residential in the town, rural residential on acres around the fringe, then three to five acres and then ten and above.

Mornington Park Primary school is in Mornington Roberts Drive and is a Steiner School.

Guest scotties6

Petal - I am afraid you are giving people inaccurate information. Mornington Park Primary School is a fundamentally a mainstream school that does has a steiner stream. It is in Robertsons Drive in Tyabb Estate - I should know my kids went there for 4 years! In fact it used to be called Tyabb State School or something like that but they changed the name because of the stigma associated with the Tyabb estate.

Sorry have to diagree its the "Tanti Estate" you are talking about not the Tyabb Estate there is no such thing, Tanti is an estate with a lot of government housing.

Tyabb is nowhere near Mornington and is on Westernport side of the Peninsula where the airport is and the antique shops. Its a small village surrounded by acreage properties and farms. Can I asks if you ever venture over to have a look around the westernport side of the peninsula? Bittern, Balnarring Somers, all of these places are lovely and we are fortunate to have a bike path which goes all the way from Somerville to Somers and is well used.

Wiki says this about Tyabb

"

Tyabb is a small township with a primary school, fire brigade, shopping street, motel, cafes and airfield. It is well known for its many antique shops. The largest, the Tyabb Packing House Antique Centre is housed in an historic Cool Store building dating from the areas fruit growing past. The Tyabb Packing House Antique Centre reputedly has one of the largest retail antique collections under one roof in the southern hemisphere. There are several other antique shops in the Tyabb township.

Tyabb is also known because of the Tyabb Airfield, which has been operating for over 30 years. The Airfield has hosted an internationally-recognised Air Show for several years. Tyabb airfield has plans to develop and expand its runways and helipads. This has met with objection from many residents of the town[citation needed].

Recently there has been rapid residential development in the town. It also has its own cricket and football team known as the Yabbies competing in the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League. There is also a baseball team that plays at the central ground.

Tyabb also has a Craft Village that boasts a number of artisans including a; mosaic, Garden art, milliner, potter, jeweller, quilt maker, Wrought iron worker, teddy bears, image consultant and painters / art gallery.

Tyabb is one of the few towns in Australia that does not have a pub. Although the town is over 100 years old it has never had a pub.

Tyabb has given its name to the Tyabb Fault, an ancient geological formation extending from Tyabb across the Peninsula to Mornington, and Tyabb Loam, the characteristic soil of the district.

The town holds three primary schools, Tyabb Railway Station Primary , Tyabb Primary School and Flinders Christian Community College (non-denominational Christian school)"

My children went to top Tyabb primary school and Flinders Christian Community College.

Guest JohnAvoca

I live in NSW and have travelled in QLD, SA and Vic.

Sydney - anywhere on the north shore. Stunning, but very pricey. Leafy St Ives or beachside places like Whale Beach or Newport.

Anywhere out west is too hot in Summer and too farfrom the beach for my liking. Blue Mountains. Stunning, but freezing in winter.

Central Coast. Terrigal, Avoca Beach, North Avoca, Wamberal, Copacabana are all nice becah towns. Saratoga overlooks stunning waterways. Pearl Beach, Hardy's Bay, Wagstaff are all very quite and small villages really. Don't listen to the real estate agents. On a bad traffic day Sydney is two hours from the Central Coast. Other times it's an hour and a bit to the outskirts. Like everywhere the CC has dodgy suburbs too. Parts of it used to be known by the derogatory term 'western-suburbs-by-the-sea.' If you're looking for country, beach, bustling seaside towns or village life, it's all on the Central Coast and much more laid back than Sydney. It's about 60 miles to the big smoke.

Anywhere more than 90 minutes to two hours from the big cities in Australia and you'll struggle to get some services.

Newcastle is a thieving go-ahead city with some nice suburbs and a good uni and medical facilities. Up the coast a bit Forster and the waterways are beautiful.The town is run down. Port Macquarie is one of the most perfectly livable small cities I've ever visited, but I'd guess jobs are hard to come by and some services. It's a bit far from anywhere, but beautiful. Coffs Harbour. Stunning hinterland, with little quaint villages. Town centre is ugly and run down. Beaches are good, but not as good as Sydney and Central Coast. Mind you, it's all relative - they're still magnificent.

Armidale. Inland from Coffs. Rural and cold in winter. Very cold. Reminds me of a stark provincial town in England. But, excellent educational facilities. Some of Australia's best private schools. Very English actually.

Tamworth. Nice provincial country town but miles from anywhere.

I've got a blog at mylifeinaustralia.com and have written about a fair few places. Have a look there for more info.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest London Pride

Used to live in Woodridge,Qld. Used to be a complete hole but is quickly becoming a trendy place and still one of the cheepest places in Australia to buy a house, 52 schools/playgroups, loads of stuff for the kids to do, great shopping, on the corridor between Brisbane & Gold Coast, Great Public Transport to Brisbane approx 15mins by bus. Has one of the largest Police Stations around has loads of crims live there but if you think about it "they don't poo on their own doorstep" they go to other suberbs and do their theiving. We lived there for 7yrs and never had a single problem.

Guest London Pride

Currently live in Canberra. Massive change from Qld but way better. It's a well kept securit, if you listen to other ozi people then its a dump but if you actually come here and lookaround then it's not at all bad. Great for bring up the kids. Great schools, uni's ; activites; sking 2.5hrs, Coast 2.5hrs, Sydney 3hrs, Melborne 7hrs-9hrs, masses of shopping has airport, trains etc.. it's got everything. I don't know anyone who's out of a job, infact most fella's have enough work to last 6 months to a year (building trade's) obviously Government Jobs everywhere here houses 385,000 to 6-10million good rents. Not bad!!

Where best to live in australia and what areas to avoid.

Queensland is the best place to live.

Avoid Spain like the plague...they let bulls run the tourists down AND, they throw rotton tomatoes at the tourists.:yes:

Avoid the UK...They have a bloke who is hell bent on ruining the country AND its freezing cold...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj

• 4 months later...
Guest Lys77

Hi there!

I felt I just had to join this forum to back up poor ol' Petals. I am an expat living in Somerville, and a primary school teacher. I agree that if you like rural living, Tyabb is in fact excellent- many houses on more than an acre with hobby farms, certainly not a poor area - just not snobby. Their schools are highly regarded - being both Tyabb and Tyabb railway for primary schools. The Mornington school referred to earlier is definitely in the Tanti area of Mornington - not Tyabb - no where near Tyabb in fact! A good 10+ minutes drive away. This school is a mainstream govt school with a dedicated Steiner stream that many parents do choose to send their students to (though not my personal choice). I, for one, will be sending my children past our 3 local schools in Somerville for them to attend Tyabb Primary. If you are looking for a not so rural area as Tyabb, then I can recommend Somerville. It now has a wonderful shopping precinct and some very nice areas. They range from units, normal house blocks to hobby farms.

Guest Toorak Trev

Have you seen the state of some mornington suburbs?

some places look like trailer parks of alabama

Above areas put in by Bobj, i have just applied for a prison job at Townsville and i am pleased to see that Bobj has posted it has a good place to live, i think this is a good idea as an informative area info site, it is a pity that PIO postees arn't showing interest in giving this info a boost, at times PIO seems to be a site just for spoof and jokey threads which i am all for, but wouldn't it be great if someone could just look at say the Perth part of this thread and see where the good and bad areas are and i know there are other sites individually, but there are a lot of people who can't decide where to go and info on one thread could be helpful.

jim - Again - anyone with info just quote post and add their good and bad areas and upload it so it can be used again and again. Hi, everyone it appears we can't do this so if you just want to put the areas good and bad i will update them on my original list.

My friend who was in the prison service in UK for 18 years has just done his 6 weeks training, he says Queensland is so far behind the UK he wiil most likely not carry on. First after he has done training he has to go on the gate for 12 months.

The prison is privatized, he is on a casual basis, no holiday pay etc. If he goes on a night shift they can call him or not call him, no security in the job. So he finishes training this week, and maybe the job. Also there doesn't seem to be any mate ship in the service. Be careful if it is a private prison.

Victoria (Western areas of Melbourne)

Good place:

Torquay (but big commute to Melbourne)

Not so good:

Lara (a bit ferral),

Werribee (high crime)

Point Cook (soul sucking suburban sprawl)

Melton {Swing City}

Queensland- Brisbane. please post your good and bad areas and i will update the lists and put in your helpful information.

Good places to live.

1. Mackay.

2. Townsville.

3. North Lakes.

4. Narongba.

5. Scarborough

6. Murrumba Downs.

7. Noosa- if you are a millionaire.

8. Bulimba.

carry on.

9 Redcliffe,if near the beach.

1. Rockhampton. More than one negative post about this place, one to avoid.

2. Fortitude valley.

3. Kallangur. A bit run down.

4. Beerwha. very quiet area, isolated.

carry on.

5.Logan

6 Woodridge

7Parts of Ipswich

Not so good places to live.

Guest JohnAvoca

Here's a piece I posted on my blog mylifeinaustralia.com about my experience visiting Rockhampton.

I've just got back from a job in Rockhampton, Central Queensland.

Rocky inhabits its own strange alternate universe. It's a universe where the locals believe it's perfectly okay to go out in public wearing a stained wife-beater vest.

Let me admit up front, I am no vision of sartorial elegance. In fact, I'm a bit of a scruff. But in Rocky I looked like I'd walked straight off a catwalk, albeit a catwalk for short ugly blokes with no sense of style.

This was purely by virtue of the fact that I wore a shirt and trousers, minus stains.

I wonder what shoppers say when they walk into clothes stores in Rocky? "I'm looking for a stain with some vest in between," perhaps.

Two women (yes, women wear wife-beater vests in Rocky too) upon meeting might comment on each other's attire in the following vein, "Nice vest. You must tell me where you got the stains?"

My welcome to Rockhampton consisted of being abused by a posse of drunken aboriginals as I walked along the banks of the Fitzroy River. I'm not sure what they were saying, but there was lots of arm waving and angry faces. Maybe they were just upset I wasn't wearing a wife beater?

Still, I was lucky I didn't get a punch in the face like popular Australian comedian Akmal Saleh. Akmal, Egyptian born, made an Arab joke while performing there. A local woman took offence and slapped him one in the chops, calling him a paedophile.

During a TV interview Akmal later happened to mention he hated Rocky and suggested the town should be relocated to Afghanistan. (It's a great idea, but I can't see the Afghani's putting up with it because local property values would plunge).

Incredibly, in the alternate universe that is Rockhampton, the local rag took offence. Somehow, a flippant funny comment by a comic was presumed to be a mortal insult. Poor Akmal ended up backtracking and saying what a top spot Rocky is.

Rocky does have some beautiful old heritage buildings going for it. And six bull statues. I'm not making this up. As the self-proclaimed beef capital of Queensland, Rocky pays homage to the domestic beasts with commendable, though odd, civic pride.

Sadly, some of the statues look a bit tatty. Ocassional they're minus testicles too as students keep pinching them. Anyway, there is one at the airport you can't miss. It's a statue of the Droughtmaster, a beast specifically bred to weather Australian conditions. It appears to be made of plastic and looks like a giant kid's toy that's been left out in the rain and sun for too long.

Rocky-0441-300x225.jpg

You'd think such obsession with cattle would translate into some truly great steaks. I went to a place where it was reputed I'd get the best steak in town. It might have been the best in Rocky, but it was a long way short of the best I've eaten and in places which don't have six statues of cattle all over town.

Alarmingly, what this fascination with cattle does produce is another strange fashion tic in the locals. A disturbing number of men dress as if they've wandered of the set of the movie Brokeback Mountain. All big hat, belt buckle and shiny boots passes as the working uniform of the cattle station hand. Only, some of these blokes looked like they'd have a fit if a speck of dust marred the sheen on their boots.

On the way home I spent some fruitful hours at the airport trying to spot someone wearing a stained wife beater and a big hat. Sadly, I was ahead of the local fashion curve. Nobody had yet put that combination together. They should do, it'll take take Rockhampton by storm.

Guest chris955

:laugh: Good post, I agree. We went up to Rockhampton recently and was amazed just how behind the rest of the country (world) it really is up there.

I also had to laugh at the post made earlier in this thread stating that Woodridge was becoming trendy :laugh:

Archived